Chapter Three - Dane

Dane ~

My parent's house is always buzzing with guests even during the day there's always someone around - there's always an audience. How exhausting?

Tonight was no different and I stood making small talk with the same faces that I saw at every event my parents hosted. It was agonizingly boring, but my parents requested that I make an appearance so there I was.

Where the hell is Tyson?

I shifted my gaze back and forth over my shoulders, pretending to listen to one of my cousins brag about his newest business venture, but looking for my brother instead.

Tyson wasn't really my brother, not by blood at least, but we were family nonetheless. His family was basically royalty back in the day and he was supposed to inherit the empire - get the keys to the whole castle, but when his parents were murdered my family took him in and we've been thick as thieves ever since.

We were the perfect pairing ever since middle school - I was the brains and he was the muscle. He'd often get himself into trouble, resorting to violence over logic, needing me to think up a way to get him out of it, which is why as adults it only makes sense that I run a business and he runs security.

Need your money laundered through my club? Call me.

Need someone to pay up on a loan or someone intimidating to protect you? Call Tyson.

Those were the accepted norms in our circles and something everyone understood about us. The other aspect of our lives that had become widely known and understood was that Tyson and I had very specific tastes when it came to women. You see, Tyson and I preferred to share.

We liked taking turns watching and playing with the same woman, but never for more than a night. After that the excitement was just...over.

We shared a large estate which is where we chose to stay most of the time. Sure we each had our own apartments in the city, but we often stayed under the same roof, especially when we found a woman to bring back with us.

My mom's biggest gripe with our ever fluctuating living situation revolved around marriage and children, but the problem was, Tyson and I were 27 and 26 and had no interest in dating. We weren't the type of guys who were going to fall in love and have a family. We brought girls home, we fucked them, then sent them on their way and searched for the next. It was as simple and as easy as that. I never felt guilty about it and probably never would because it was no secret in our circles and women practically threw themselves at our feet which was nice at first, but soon became boring.

Tony's eyes were locked onto me as my mind drifted, but I quickly realized he'd asked me a question that I hadn't heard a word of.

"So what do you think?" Tony asked again.

Shit. I don't have a fucking clue what he's talking about.

I had always been a smooth talker, but before I could open my mouth to try and salvage the conversation, I saw a woman enter my peripheral vision who was about to run right into me.

Is she walking backwards?

I shifted my glass to the side so it didn't spill down the back of her dress as she bumped into me, sloshing my drink on the floor and onto my shoes.

"What the fuck?" I muttered between gritted teeth.

Feeling my blood start to boil I glared down at the clumsy woman who had probably ruined my shoes, but my anger dissolved instantly as my eyes settled onto her gorgeous face.

She had big doe eyes that were wide and surprised and her face was perfectly soft and innocent as if she'd been picked out just for me. Her long honey brown hair was in curls that were draped over one shoulder in a dress that hugged every one of her delicious curves perfectly.