Chapter 22: The Beginning to an End

The Beginning to an End

~~~

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize," Fury tells us as he looks a a picture of Pierce ,"He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility."

I sigh as I lean back in my chair and cross my arms. "See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues," Fury says says making me nod.

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha announces.

"I don't think that Council's accepting my calls anymore," Fury tell her. He then opens a suitcase reveling three electronic chips.

"What are those for?" I ask him.

"Once the helicarriers reach 3,000 feet,  they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized," Maria says showing a blueprint on her computer.

"Holy shit," I mutter quietly.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own," Fury tells us.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work," Maria says, "Because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"We have to assume t everyone abroad those carriers is HYDRA. We get past them, insert these server blades and maybe, just maybe we can salvage what's left," Fury says before getting cut off.

"We're not salvaging anything," Steve says sternly and I look at him, "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D."

"S.H.I.E.L.D. had nothing to do with this," Fury tells him.

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends," Steve tells Fury. Nat glances at me and I place my hand in her lap. She wraps her pinky around mine before Steve continues.

"S.H.I.E.L.D.'s been compromised. You said so yourself. HYRDA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave?" Fury asks Steve, "I noticed."

"How many paid the price before you did?" Steve asks and I look down.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes," Fury says.

"Even if you had, would you have told me?" Steve asks and I look at Fury, "Or would you have compartmentalized that, too? S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, it all goes."