•07•

Amren Valentino

The words Mr. Vasquez spat out took me by surprise.

I think back to my earlier conversation with my dad in the car before reaching here.

My dad presses the button for the partition glass which guarantees absolute privacy.

My ears perk out, and I turn in the backseat towards him, awaiting for whatever he's about to disclose.

"As you know, Ivan tried striking a deal with Arturo behind our backs. He might think he's smart, but not smarter than me.

I reached out to Arturo and we reached an agreement. We just need to go over a few things before finalizing the deal.

Whatever I say or do, you have no room to object. Remember I'm only doing what's best for the sake of the mafia" He finishes and I nod expressionlessly, the wheels in my head working overdrive to try and figure out what he's hinting at.

I sigh and turn my head back to the window, the scenery passing by me all in one big blur. Before I notice, we're already there.

The wedding was exactly one week away and I couldn't decipher the mixture of emotions surging through me.

With my line of work, I never wanted to get married. It's only considered a weakness in the eyes of your rivals, a mere liability.

I'm now seated in my office, the atmosphere gloomy with rain sputtering continuously on the window pane, thunderstorms striking every now and then, the only thing beating out the deafening silence of this cursed night.

I call up Noah, one of my trusted men.
"Yeas, boss?" He asks expectantly.

I lift my eyes from the documents messily spread out in front of me.

"Bring me a file on Aiyana Vasquez. And when I say a file, I mean everything there is to be known" I order and he nods hastily "On it, boss". With that he leaves.

I take a hand and rake it through my already messy hair. Sighing, I decide to finish up on my piled up work and then call it a night.

The next morning, I was sipping on a cup of black coffee in the dining room, with a red Manila file rested on the table.

I flip through the pages, my eyes skimming through.

Name: Aiyana Vasquez.
Born: 1998
Age: 23 years old.
Born: Spain
Raised: NYC
Hobbies: Knife throwing.
Parents: Arturo Vasquez - Current head of Spanish mafia.
Liliana Vasquez- deceased since 2014.
Siblings: Non

I read through the pages, all describing her childhood up to her teen years. Nothing unusual.

I furrow my eyebrows and continue sipping on the hot coffee before the silence is interrupted by non other than my best friend and second hand, Luca.

"I heard you're getting married. Congrats man" He says with a fake smile plastered all over his face.

I don't respond and he takes it as a hint to tease up a notch. "I can't believe that mighty Amren is finally tying the knot"

"It's just for business, man" I remind him that it wasn't me who came up with this terrific idea.

He lets the pot of water boil on the stove, while he stalks towards me. His eyes lift up at the file in front of me, and he snatches it away before I can stop him.

His eyes shoot to her picture attached and his smirk deepens. "Ooh, she's hot"

He says and anger boils in my veins. "Watch it!" I threaten with a finger pointed out to his direction.

"I see you riled up, already getting all jealous and possessive when she isn't even your wife yet." My eyes narrow to slits warning him that any further unnecessary comments might lead to a crooked nose.

"Well, she isn't here and already got you wrapped around her little finger. Good luck" He winks and drops the file before going out leaving me sulking to myself.

Not a few seconds pass by, and I hear his voice from across the hall "I'm the best man right? Right" And I'm suddenly reminded of the suit I need to get tailored, also not to forget the rings.

Everything else is being taken care of by the wedding planners my mom and sister hired.

All I basically had to do, other than purchase the suit and rings was quote on quo 'show up' there on time.

I push my chair and decide to hit the gym. All this week I've been stressed out to no ends and this whole situation does nothing more than add to the already compiled stress.

•••

A/n:

Better things are
on the way *wink wink

For more updates mplease vote and comment ❣️