Chapter 166

The demon towers had fallen, and Alicante was overrun by the monsters as Jonathan opened a rift into Edom.

Serena and Alec had gone to visit Imogen to confer with her about defensive plans when Aline Penhallow and Helen Blackthorn came in followed by Izzy, Helen a half-Seelie, half-Shadowhunter who helped Simon inside the black site prison.

And a quick hug goodbye and good luck to Imogen, the three Lightwoods and two Shadowhunters ran out the door to complete their respective tasks. Imogen having to get to a secure bunker to oversee counterattacks with the Consul Jia, and Helen and Aline escorting other Shadowhunters to the other safe houses around the city. And the Lightwoods, they were tasked to fight.

Serena was armed with her swords, Izzy with her staff as Alec hefted his bow.

He pulled Serena in for one last kiss before readying his bow.

"We've got this," he said as he aimed at the horde flying towards them.

"We've got this?" Izzy questioned.

"It's no problem. We're Lightwoods," Alec said as they flew closer.

But before he could fire, the demons disappeared in a flash of blue light, and they turned to see Magnus.

"Sorry, I'm late. Traffic was hell," he joked with a smile.

"Sparkles, you came!" Serena sighed in relief as she hugged him.

"Can't let you have all the fun now, can't I?"

"Thank you for coming," Alec said.

"My pleasure. There's also a small number of Downworlders that are here as well, obviously not Seelies, but they got your message and they're here to help."

Serena smiled, but that soon turned into confusion when Magnus, Izzy and Alec shielded their eyes from her. 

When the bright light died down, the three gaped as Serena worriedly asked, "What's wrong?!"

"Angel, you have wings."

"What?!" she questioned, somewhat panicked before looking back to Alec and Izzy who shared the same look as Magnus. Then she realised the white wings that had been folded to her back, and she felt them extend.

Looking to the sky, a heavenly warmth and calm flooding Serena as she said, "They're a gift from the angels."

"Have you ever flown before?" Magnus asked.

"She used them once when she first held Glorious, but they vanished once she was aware of them," Izzy explained.

"Listen to me Angel, more and more demons are just going to keep coming and we have more of a chance at saving lives with you in the air, those cannons aren't direct enough. You have to fly."

"But I don't know how!"

"You're thinking too much," Alec blurted.

"You flew when you held the sword, when you felt it," Izzy added.

"It's like using magic, don't think about it. Feel it. Feel the wings as a part of you," Magnus advised.

"I'm trying," she said but it didn't work, the wings remained motionless.

Magnus then glanced at Alec who walked over and pulled his wife into a kiss. And as Serena relaxed into it, her wings glowed with heavenly fire and she rose a couple centimetres off the ground as they flapped gently.

And when she pulled away and looked at the white wings, they didn't disappear.

She smiled before she turned to Alec.

"You come back to me alive, you hear me?" he said.

"Always," she smiled, and Serena took to the skies.