Ch. 41: Guide Me Home

Nadia's P.O.V

Finishing tying the knot on the bag of charms someone had ordered off of my Etsy store, I placed it down next to the other ones on the kitchen table. Now that my current orders were filled, all I needed was someone to take me to town so I could mail them.

Humans were funny creatures, some of them thinking they had magic when they didn't and wasting money on useless trinkets and bobbles they thought would help channel their nonexistent power. I tried to not take advantage of those types, preferring to sell things that encouraged true love or good luck. Harless little things that wouldn't do any damage and most people bought with a grain of salt anyway.

Though mine actually worked, if only for a short time.

"Almost there," I breathed to the empty house, a sense of ease washing over me at the knowledge that I was so close to getting away from this place. I might have called it home but it had never felt like one and would never truly be one. With this last set of orders, I finally had enough money to buy a bus ticket and start new with people that cared. I wouldn't be defined by my lack of magic or seen as a broken witch anymore.

I would get to just be me, Nadia.

Getting to the human town would be the hard part. I planned to lie, saying I needed to go to mail my stuff myself because it had a custom piece that I didn't want to break but there weren't many people that would be willing to take me. I couldn't insist on going without rousing suspicion either. If Grandmother had any idea of what I was planning, I was never going to leave.

Things would be so much easier if I knew how to drive. As witches, the need rarely came up since we didn't interact with the outside world more than we had to. Most of us never left the hidden little towns we were born in unless it was to change covens. It wasn't an option worth considering. If I had a license, I could at least try hot wiring a car when they were all sleeping and make my escape. They'd know it was me once they figured out I was gone but as long as I left it at the bus station, I would be hard to trace through magic. However, I wouldn't completely safe until I was actually in the vampire city where their laws reigned supreme.

Not even my grandmother would think I was worth entering the lion's den.

Sucking in my bottom lip, I decided that I needed to scope out all my options first. I knew for sure the older members were a lost cause, most not even bothering to acknowledge me anymore. Witch culture placed heavy emphasis on respecting our elders since they were the ones that passed down our knowledge to the next generation through written works like grimoires and spoken stories that were unique to each family and coven. That meant I was expected to grin and bear their cold indifference while trying to make myself useful to them at the same time.

Screw that.

The members around my age were slightly better but I wouldn't say I was best buddies with any of them. I certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to tell any of them what I was doing if on the off chance I could talk one of them into letting me tag along onto a trip into the human town. Since many of them run their own little businesses to make some side money, I was hoping that they wouldn't think much of my little white lie.

There was a mandatory coven meeting that night that would be the perfect opportunity to see who I could ask. I wouldn't be expected to participate but was still made to go since I was technically still part of the coven so I always hid in a corner of the hall where I would hopefully be forgotten. Ignored was better than being treated like an annoying fly that you couldn't wait to swat.

Letting out a tired sigh, already dreading the hours-long meeting, I got up to let some water start boiling while I got ready for the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~🌸~~~~~~~~~~~~