Chapter 29

Everyone looked at the floor, frustrated that they couldn't do more in behalf of their friend.

Percy found himself looking towards the trail he had once followed, along Thalia and Zoe, to reach the entrance of the Garden all those years ago.

The thick fog that inhabited the place that time was long forgotten, leaving the path clear to view. The demigod could only wonder how did the mortals not notice the difference between the normal flora and the one that grew close to the mountain.

Colorful flowers climbed upon each other, competing to get the caresses of Apollo.

Percy even saw the hidden petals of some Moonlace flowers that waited to blossom during the reign of Artemis.

Wanda reached him while he was deep in thought. Flashes of the last time he visited the place struck in his mind. "Percy." Wanda breathed.

The boy didn't turn around. "I'm tired." He said.

"I know." She answered, feeling unsure of how to express herself. "But I'm here for you. And I'll be there when you need me."

Percy sighed as he passed a hand through his hair. "And I'm forever grateful." He said. "My only regret is that I won't be able to be there for you."

"Don't worry about it." Wanda said, stepping up to him and taking his hand in hers. "We're together now."

"Yeah." Percy said with as his expression turned to that of a tired smile. "At least we are."

He pulled her hand up, twisting her around and embracing her in a hug. He rested his chin on the top of her head. She hugged back and melted between his arms, resting her head on his chest. "I just wish I had more time." He whispered.

-----

The Avengers marched along the Romans. The different cohorts advanced side by side, following Reyna's and Percy's lead.

They had to stay back, however, not able to walk among them or next to the Praetors.

The soldiers had finally relented after an exhausting discussion with Reyna. She had made it clear that they had no business there. She thanked their job at evacuating, but there was nothing else they could do.

After some yells, threats and gun-pointing, they went back to the military base established two hundred feet away from the Roman post.

With their authority finally unquestioned, the Romans didn't wait long to start with the march.

The long roman column marched behind the Reyna and Percy, the praetors leading the march.

Reyna rode Scipio slowly, her armor clinging to her body to the regular rhythm of the pegasus walk. Her purple cape drifted behind her, riding the wind that had picked up as they neared the top of the mountain.

Percy walked by her side in much more casual regalia. He had been given a praetor helmet, chest plate and cape.

The boy tried hard to keep the same stern and determinate pose that his companion wore. Eyes glued ahead, clenched jaw and serious frown. Instead, however, he found his eyes drifting to the colors of twilight painting the sky.

"Eyes forward, Jackson." Reyna snapped quietly.

"Sorry." Percy said, correcting his posture. "This place brings back memories. I lost people, the last time I was here."

Her jaw clenched even further, if that was even possible at the point. Her eyes misted as she took a shuddering breath. "The last time we marched through these lands, we were going against the forces of Saturn." She said. "I still remember the cries and screams from when we had to face Ladon."