XVIII

The last thing Jungkook wanted to do today was go and see his mother, much less sit down and have dinner with her

The last thing Jungkook wanted to do today was go and see his mother, much less sit down and have dinner with her. The thought made him feel guilty. What kind of son doesn't want to see his mother? He's more willing to give himself a little slack though. He just had the most regretful night of his life with a girl he hardly even remembered.

He woke up feeling like absolute shit. Kept all the blinds closed and blackout curtains shut as he navigated through his apartment to find his pain medication. Waking up with a migraine was the worst way to start the day. Jungkook thought he should ask to cancel dinner for today but his mother simply would never have that. It was her way or the highway. Much worse, what if she wanted him over for something important? Was she dying? How horrible would it be if he canceled and she was dying?

He had to leave eventually anyways for the highlight of his day, getting the mail. Sometimes Iris would be coming down at the same time and though he never had the courage to say anything to her. He liked being near her, liked begin able to glance at her and sometimes catch her gaze which would leave him red in the face and hopeful in the heart.

Jungkook threw on a shirt and left his house to go down to get his mail. He kept his head low with his hair protecting him from the lights that felt like they were staring at him. Jungkook knew he looked like shit with the dark circles under his eyes and the unhealthy pastiness of his skin. He had also failed to put on his vaseline so his lips felt dry and cracked. He didn't need to be judged by inanimate objects too, not when he was already judging himself so hard.

He got his mail without much problem and much to his disappointment, Iris wasn't there. Trust that he looked among the few people down in the lobby.

Jungkook, with his packages and envelopes in his grasp, makes his way back upstairs to his apartment. While he walks down the hall with his phone in his face, Jungkook catches sight of a tall figure coming out of an apartment up ahead. Out of fleeting curiosity, his eyes flicker up just for a moment, and catch sight of Namjoon.

Coming out of Iris' apartment.

He stops dead in his tracks as he watches Namjoon turn back to the doorway and say something Jungkook can't hear before smiling at who he can only presume is Iris. His honey brown hair was all ruffled and messy and his shirt is wrinkled. Jungkook knows that it's bad to make assumptions and jump to conclusions, but what else is he supposed to think? That they didn't fuck?

Jungkook shouldn't be mad or jealous, she had all the right in the world to sleep with whoever she wanted when she wanted, but he was. It felt like bitter payback. He wasn't mad at Iris, he was mad at Namjoon. He was jealous of Namjoon. Why was he always there, ready to swoop in whenever Jungkook fucked up?

Namjoon finally closed the door, swinging his jacket over his shoulder to put it on. The older man looks up and catches sight of Jungkook standing there looking at him with a rather unsettled expression. He tenses a bit as he makes his way down the hall, unsure of what that expression really meant. Eyes wide, kind of aggressive, chewing on his bottom lip. "Hey, Jungkook... how are you?" He asks with the kindest smile he can put on. It's kinda hard with the way the young boy is staring at him.