xxxv. conniving son

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE ─── conniving son 

∘☽༓☾∘

𝕸alkus liked to think that he was a good boy and, for the most part, he followed his mother's rules and instructions to the letter. However, Malkus knew that the order that his mother had just given him was wrong. She'd asked him to stop following Kaz, though she had called him Bastard and then glared at her wall after saying it. Malkus hadn't had the heart to remind her that it was a bad word, not when she still looked so upset.

So, with all the skills that Stasiaj had taught him, Malkus lied to her and then went back off to track down the man who seemed to have upset his mother over something. He'd sort this out.

Popping his head out of a manhole cover, Malkus looked around to see if anyone was watching, before scurrying towards the shadows and waiting for the back door to the hotel to open. It took a while, with little else happening to entertain him, before the door opened and Malkus saw his chance to slip in.

The lift was easy to operate, and Malkus pressed the button for the floor, the one he had seen Kaz press a few days earlier. It hummed as it went up, and Malkus' nose twitched. There were no shadows in the enclosed space and he felt vulnerable. The fear that the Shu soldiers would find him still gripped his heart, but this was more important. His parents were more important.

Malkus had never known his true parents. Ivarn had told him, in a fit of anger, that they had thrown him onto the street because he was Grisha. But, even without knowing his own, he knew that Kaz and Stasiaj were his parents, even if it wasn't by blood, and he didn't like seeing his parents arguing so he was going to fix this.

The doors pinged and Malkus hurried along the corridor, reaching the room where Kaz was staying and pausing. The question remained; how did he get in? 

Voices sounded from the corridor to his left, and Malkus hurried into the shadows. The Gun Man's father and Nina, the one Stasiaj found funny, were talking in hushed tone as they crossed the hall to the door. Malkus grinned. Here was his chance.

Following behind the father, Malkus kept his steps light as he scurried along behind them and then through the open doorway and into the room. It was just as he remembered, the same long corridor and stunning views, but Malkus had little time to think on that, finding the shadow under the table to slink beneath and wait.

He was going to make his da listen, however he could.

∘☽༓☾∘