12: Liar

My mouth opened. I stammered; "Y-your Highness."

Eyes straight ahead, Li Han walked forward with an indifferent expression, "Hold tight if you don't want to fall."

My eyes brimmed with unshed tears. And perhaps due to pain or melancholy, I hid my face to his wide chest. I remember Mom, whenever I got injured or sad, Mom will hurriedly travel eight hours to the city to comfort me.

Acting spoiled, "It hurts."

I felt his body stiffened, "I'm here."

After few minutes, we reached the Qixiang Palace. Concubine Zhi was shocked when she saw his son carrying a woman.

"Han'er, what happened to Lady Bai?"

Li Cha interrupted, "It's that Commoner's fault."

"Wh-what?!"

"Call the imperial physician!" Li Han's voice boomed, obviously annoyed. All hearts jumped, especially mine. Scared me to death!

Li Han gently placed me in the soft chair, "Th-thank you."

My head was in disarray. I don't know what to think first; my injury or the unexpected outcome of today's scene? 'What's happening, Author-san?'

Minutes later, the imperial physician came. When he tried to touch my ankle, "Wait!"

Everyone looked at me, confused.

Worried, Concubine Zhi asked, "What's wrong, Lady Bai?"

"That.. Jin'er.." My eyes scanned the room. When I saw my maid, Jin'er stepped forward, planning to come near me. However, Li Han who was standing beside me, glared at her. Terrified, that glance from Nan King made Jin'er instantly stopped on her track.

"Lady Bai, we need to treat you immediately." The imperial physician said.

Biting my lips, I'm such a coward. I'm scared. I don't know what to do.

Suddenly, Li Han grabbed my shoulder then he pulled me towards him. My face was now buried in his stomach, concealing my painful and silly expression.

"Begin."

Embracing his waist, I gasped then groaned. Minutes later which felt like eternity, the treatment was finally done. I was left pitifully sobbing. My body was very sensitive to pain, the same in this world or the other.

"The Lady will be fine. She only needs to be careful not to put too much pressure on her right ankle and continue to apply the ointment on her injury."

Turning my head away, I let go of Li Han, embarrassed. Wiping my tears with my shôupà.

"Oh. Does it mean she can still walk?"

Stunned, I instinctively raised my eyes, wondering; 'what does he mean by that?'

"Answering Your Highness, yes, Lady Bai can still walk."

His mocking face greeted me, "Tsk. I thought it's worse and need to chop it all off. What? One of these days, I will have your ankle chop. I plan to display it in front of the palace. So that everyone will enjoy its beauty."

I seemed to have heard his laughter. Why does this scene feels like.. a déjà vu?

"His highness will be fine. He only needs to recuperate well and be careful not to put too much pressure on his left leg."

"Oh. It means, he can still walk?"

"Yes, my lady."

"Tsk. I thought it's worse and need to chop it all off."

"What? One of these days, I will have your leg chop. I plan to display it infront of the prime minister's manor. So that everyone will enjoy its beauty."

"Bai Suxin!"

I could feel a cold sweat passing over my body like a ghost at a seance. 'Mother of Pearls! How could Li Han still remember that? It's been years! Does he want to settle some accounts with me?! Petty Male Lead!'

"Érzi, how can you say that?" Concubine Zhi scolded his son.

If earlier, the atmosphere inside was uncomfortable to everyone, maybe except for Li Han. Now, it turned into an awkward and suffocating atmosphere.

"Leave us. I have something to tell to the Lady."

My hands clenched that was resting on my lap, a warning was loudly resounded to my head. My heart pounded crazily.

"But-." Jin'er's voice was full of anxiety.

When Li Han glanced to the servants and the physician, his expression became cold. Annoyance was written all over his face. The atmosphere inside had changed again. His broad back was enveloped in a dark, cold aura.

"Érzi, please be gentle to Lady Bai."

Seeing that Concubine Zhi was the first one to leave, I almost drop into my knees and beg for forgiveness to the male lead. And I almost want to abandon my 'character' settings due to fear.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, then struggling to show a calm demeanor, "Didn't you hear what His Highness said? You're all dismissed."

Everyone left in flashed except Jin'er, hesitation was on her white face. She must've noticed my fake calm face. She only closed the door when I nodded at her.

'I know I'm not going to die today. So I must stay calm.'

After scrutinizing my facial expression, Li Han opened his mouth. "Why did you do that?"

Lowering my eyes, "Y-your High-."

I gasped when Li Han grasped my chin, forcing me to face him. "I almost think that you've changed. Almost. You begged the Emperor for leniency days before Li Rui was executed. You even got a cold because of it. You got sick for several days. I almost fall to your fake concern towards my older brother."

"And I was moved by you to tears, thinking that you really love the former crown prince. And that love almost killed you. I even thought you're prepared to follow Li Rui to hell." He sneered.

"But after only one month, here you are, begging for favor from my concubine mother. Scheming to be my bride." He taunted.

"And now, you even dare to target my people?" Li Han must be referring to Chu Wanwan.

His expression became sharp, his eyes glowed in terrifying brutalness. His voice was cold as ice, smashing my heart and freezing it all over."Bai Suxin, I'm glad, you're still the same."

"My liar Bai Suxin."