Chapter 23: One Step Closer

One Step Closer

~~~

"People are gonna die, Buck," Steve says as we stand there staring at Bucky, "I can't let that happen."

I grip my knife in my hand as Bucky does not move. "Please don't make me do this," Steve begs.

I can see a slight change in Bucky's demeanor. "I'm sorry," Steve whispers to me as he pushes me forcefully making me fly back. I grunt for the impact of hitting the ground and look up to see Steve throwing his shield at Bucky.

Bucky deflects it with is metal arm and it flies back at Steve. I stand up and grab my gun from my holster and begin to move forward before Steve screams out. "I got him! Take care of the chip!" He yells as Bucky begins shooting at him.

I'm about to jump over the railing, but duck when a bullet goes past me. I look towards Steve and see that it grazed his side. Not taking another second, I run toward Bucky and slice my knife across his face, leaving a cut there. He growls at me and takes my arm and twists it, making me scream in pain. Bucky then takes the gun from my hand and shoots me in the solder.

Steve runs up and forcefully pushes Bucky back with his shield. "Take care of it!" Steve shouts. I quickly make my way to the control panel with the strength I have left and I put in the code and about to replace it when a knife digs into the side of my stomach. I swing my arm back and punch Bucky in the face. He places his hands on my shoulders and throws me behind him.

I slowly get up and see Bucky and Steve fighting. Steve throws his shield at Bucky, but he ducks and it hits me sending me over the railing. "Shit," I mutter as I land. Bucky and Steve fall over after and land on top of me and the chip flies out of my hand. I see it at the edge of the platform and notice Steve sliding down to get it. The Winter Soldier follows and knocks it out of Steve's hand and it goes over the platform.

Of course I have to do what I need to do and I jump for the chip. At the same time, Steve kicks the assassin over the platform and jumps after him. "Come on. Come on," I repeat to myself as I run toward the chip that is laying on the glass. I hear a loud hit as the Winter Soldier throws Steve's shield at him. I quickly duck and place myself behind Steve as the assassin begins to shot at us.

"Get the chip!" Steve shouts as he throws his shield back at Bucky.

I continue to run and see that the chip isn't where it was before. "You have got to be kidding," I say as I look for it. Steve continue to fight Bucky and I run faster when I see the green chip.

"Yes," I say and I dive for it as the other two men do as well. The Winter Soldier reaches out to grab it and I kick him in the face and I grab it. After I kick, he takes my left wrist with his metal arm and squeezes tightly and crushing it. I shout in pain as my hand opens and he takes the chip from my grasp.