Chapter 35

I decided that we should bury Rico in a quiet place where he can be at peace

I decided that we should bury Rico in a quiet place where he can be at peace. Filled with trees, and life. The same place I buried my father.

I look at the window hoping to find...something.

We all sit in the limo, John, Maze, Matteo, Alias, Luna, the Italians, and me.

I see the rain start to fall from the sky and hit the window, it's like he's sending me signs.

What the fuck?

"Why are you guys here", Maze breaks the silence looking between the brothers.

I stay looking out the window.

"Rico was a good friend of ours", Ezra replies. Enzo and Azar sit on their phones, while Blaze and Bently make conversation with John.

Rico mentioned the Italians and their friendship, but I never thought a lot about it.

Matteo grips my hand hard next to me. Rico would be very proud of him, he was brave. Never let anyone see him struggling to get through today. I will never be able to replace him, no matter how hard I try.

There's no love like the love for a brother. There's no love like the love from a brother.

"We have arrived", the driver announces parking the car.

Grave after grave. I almost feel bad for the number of lives that I took.

Almost.

Every life I took has had a reason. I'm not ashamed of the blood on my hands. I did what I had to do to survive.

The driver comes to open my door and I step out pulling Matteo along with me. The rain falls on my face, so cold yet I find it warm. I have always felt a comfort in the rain, I hoped that it would wash away my past and I would get to start over. Leave everything and run, never looking back. No more love, no more pain. I could never do it because I would hate myself even more for running away like a coward.

Samara, get yourself together, you're becoming soft. You'll get yourself killed along with those who make you so weak.

I straighten my back and walk through the graveyard with everyone alongside me.

I hear Matteo whimper as Rico's coffin comes into view. I see a few of the people that were going to lower it and put the tombstone in. It's a more private place with large trees and flowers all around him.

The rain hit's the brown coffin.

It's time.

I turn towards Matteo and give him a look of encouragement. A tear slips down his face as he pulls out a piece of paper from his coat.

I can't believe he actually did it.

I made all of the five write a final goodbye in case something were to ever happen, I never thought it would. Rico refused to write one saying that I was crazy to make everyone do this. I pressured him for a while, but then I eventually forgot about it. I always wondered what he would write.