ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ: ᴀʙꜱQᴜᴀᴛᴜʟᴀᴛᴇ

1.08

08】

(v.) to leave without saying goodbye.

♡♡♡

I actually almost missed my own escape. Embarrassing? Maybe. Isabella was the one who woke me up, after drugging mom's drink. Like always, my brain was foggy after getting up. I felt my back pop as I sat up in the chair, like little explosions up my spine.

"So it's morning now?" Her expression reveals that, somehow, she isn't used to my dazed- morning act.

"What? No. Just- get up." Isabella lightly clapped her hands. I glance at the clock on the nightstand.

"How long have you been awake?" I ask her.

"Since like, 11ish? You passed out around 5 last night, and I fell asleep after. I woke up again and couldn't go back to sleep." She's making the bed next to me, and I remember how sickly she once was, laying in it. She'd been in and out of consciousness all day yesterday, but I didn't think I'd fall asleep.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" I'm genuinely curious, but she just looks away.

"Don't you have a hazardous object to dig out of your bed? Make sure to change in there too." She shakes her hands towards the door. I jog to my room, grab the scalpel, and swiftly slip on as many layers of clothing as I can. I nearly hit a desk on my way with the sharp object, but no kids wake up, thankfully. I don't know how I'd explain my current situation. Probably by gaslighting them into thinking they're dreaming.

I grasp the metal blade firmly. Holy shit, this is happening. Isabella seems to have made the revelation already, but neither of us are ready for what comes after I enter the room. There's an awkward silence. I'm holding the blade in an open palm, and we're standing in front of each other, both in our thick clothes.

"I have the blade now."

"Yeah, I can see that."

The silence continues. In case it's slipped your mind, this is the part where we cut each other's ears off. I can assure you, neither of us has forgotten. Lucky you.

"I can-"

"It's fine." She says. "We can just do it at the wall."

"That wasn't in the plan."

She shrugs and grabs my hand, our intertwined hands shake. I'm not sure who's shivering. She leads me downstairs with caution and I watch her hand gently slide down the rail. There's a blanket at the bottom of the staircase, one I'm sure she placed down hours prior- or perhaps it belongs to a careless child. Anyways, I see it before Isabella, and she trips over herself. A dull thud echoes through the empty halls.

Suppressing a smile, I pick the blanket up. For a moment, it's just the two of us, sneaking out to watch the stars. I unconsciously await her childish laughter. Stargazing was a slice of hope for us. My personal favorite constellation was Orion, and hers was Andromeda. Together, we would search for the lacuna of the night. We left the house when it was late, giggling on our way out, and returned early in the morning. I have a feeling Leslie knew we snuck out. The doors I was almost positive we had left open on accident were always shut, and pillows to imitate our bodies occupied our beds when we returned. Call it a foolish idea, but I think he was a deity of some sort.