Chapter 23

People's stares have a way of making you forget how to be yourself. You suddenly feel weird making any facial expression, as you ask yourself in a panicked voice. "Is this how I've always smiled? What do I do with my hands?!? Do I just pretend the staring is normal?"

The truth was, being an author was very different than being any other kind of celebrity. I'd always imagined that my name would be known. My words would be known. But no one would care about the face or person behind it. But as technology has adapted, and people blur the lines between news and gossip. Fame and knowledge. We forget that behind every picture, every video, every comment, is a person who is just trying to get their shit together and hopes the world won't catch them on a bad day and send it viral on the internet, destroying them in the process.

This was my bad day. Getting stood up at a restaurant, on a fake date, with the paparazzi watching me from outside the window. This was my viral moment. This is what I would be known for. Not for my words, or books. Not as an author. But as a silly girl who got stood up at a restaurant and stayed glued to her seat for twenty minutes, pretending not to care.

So when my phone rang, all eyes in and outside the restaurant on me, it took all my self-control not to stare at it like a lifeline when I answered. "Hey Tate," I said, trying to keep my voice even.

"Hey, Laliana. How you doing over there?"

I smiled and pretended to be amused. "Oh pretty good. Totally not on the verge of hurling all over myself inside of this five-star restaurant."

"Yeah, Decklan and Carter are both assholes."

"Oh, so you've discovered my pet names for them?" I said with a large grin that was half sincere.

"I've got a plan to get you out of here. I just need a minute to put it into place. Think you can sit tight until..." Tate went quiet. His eyes on the front door. He swore into the phone and hung up, leaving me alone with my curiosity. He sounded angry.

Suddenly, the energy in the restaurant shifted. The eyes were no longer on me. I followed everyone's gaze and was rewarded with my heart flying out of my body, no longer mine to control.

Aiden, in an immaculate black suit, blue tie, and white shirt walked towards me. His dark hair was slicked back out of his face, leaving nothing to shield his ocean eyes and strong jaw. He stopped at my chair. All eyes were on him as he leaned down, and whispered in my ear. The restaurant was filled with whispers, and cameras flashed wildly outside as he murmured. "Follow my lead."

Then he took the chair opposite from mine, his face transforming from the serious, and focused one I had come to know, to one of open embarrassment. "So sorry I kept you waiting. Traffic was just awful."

He took in my appearance. "You look beautiful."

I blinked, finding it hard to think of coherent words. "Have you already ordered?" he asked, filling the silence.

I shook my head. "Your mother got the stains out." I blurted, my brain one step behind.

Aiden smiled, amusement flickering into his expression as cameras flashed to our left from outside the restaurant. "Your dress presented quite the challenge." He leaned forward. "Just don't fall this time."

I leaned forward too. "Be there to catch me this time."

He chuckled and plucked up his menu. "You do make it a challenge to keep you out of trouble."

"I just didn't want your job to be boring." I took a sip from my water glass. "Would you rather me pull all my crazy stunts on Tate's time."

"This one was on Tate's time."