A Rejected Princess

Genevieve

"Happy birthday, Genevieve." My mom hugged me tightly. I hugged her back, but our moment was cut short when my father cleared his throat.

"I believe it is my turn to hug my little girl," Dad said with a grin. He held his arms out and I gladly wrapped my arms around his waist. "Happy birthday, Sweet-pea," Dad mumbled into my hair.

I mumbled a thank you into his chest. "I have to finish cooking," Mom said, dismissing herself.

"My little girl is growing up," Dad said while hugging me tighter. "You have become a very beautiful, smart, and kind young woman. I am so proud of you. You will be an amazing Queen."

I pulled away from him and looked in his eyes. I saw nothing but honesty and pride. Pride in me. I shed a few tears of joy, happiness, and relief. Relief that my father believes in me. "Mommy! Daddy made Eve cry!" Two little arms wrapped around my legs. "You shouldn't cry on your birthday. You have to be happy." Matthew, my younger brother, frowned at me.

I scooped him up and planted him on my hip. "I am happy. I have happy tears," I told him. He stared at me with a look of disbelief on his face.

"I know what will make you happy!" he motioned for me to move closer. I put my ear towards his face and he cupped my ear with his small hand. "Mommy said not to tell you, but she making chocolate waffles for breakfast. And she got whipped cream," Matthew whispered.

I put him back on the ground a ruffled his hair. "I am very happy now!" I exclaimed with a smile on my face. Matthew cheered and hugged my legs.

"Matthew. Why don't you help Mommy set the table," Dad suggested. Matthew nodded and ran away to the kitchen. When Matthew was out of the room, my father turned to me. "You and Ryan are leaving at dawn tomorrow," he informed me. I nodded in response and walked to the kitchen as he trailed behind me.

"Eve! I got you a special plate!" Matthew exclaimed. He took my hand into both of his and pulled me to the dining table. He stopped in front of a chair and started pointing at the table. "Mommy said that you made that plate when you were little."

I looked at the plate and smiled at the memory. In sixth grade, my teacher told us to design our plate with something that defines who we are. No one understood what she meant, so the class ended up coloring their plate however they wanted to. But I drew a crown. The crown that would be my future. My mother's crown. The Queen crown. Its always been my dream to be just like my mother. A strong Queen.

"I remember that. You said that you couldn't wait to be a big girl, so you could wear your mother's crown," Dad said, peaking over my shoulder.

"Yeah. You told me that I had to wait. Cause Daddy still needed his little princess," I said, remembering my father's exact words.

"Mommy, can we eat now? I'm hungry," Matthew pouted, cutting off our nostalgic moment. Dad chuckled and took a seat.

I ruffled Matthew's hair. "Come one, squirt. You can sit next to the birthday girl." His pout was replaced with a face-splitting grin. He quickly pulled out the chair next to mine and sat down.

"Chocolate waffles for the birthday girl!" Mom said while walking to the kitchen. She held a platter filled with square chocolate waffles. She put them in the center of the table and we all took a few waffles.

"Eve. Can you help me?" Matthew said, from next to me.

"With what buddy?" I asked, not looking at him, but at the heavenly breakfast in front of me. My stomach growled sensing the delicious meal.

"I made a mess," Matthew said quietly. I turned and immediately burst into laughter. Whipped cream and cherries. There was a cherry floating inside of his juice and his whole plate was covered in whipped cream. There was even chocolate syrup on the table. Kids are a force to be reckoned with. I have no idea how they do things like this.

"No more whipped cream!" Mom scolded Matthew, when he held the bottle inside his mouth.

Dad chuckled and took the bottle away from him. "More for me," Dad put some whipped cream in his mouth and Matthew pouted. I scooped some whipped cream off of his plate and dabbed it on the tip of his nose.

"Hey!" Matthew rubbed the cream off his nose. It just made the cream spread; so it looked like he put on sunblock, but didn't rub it in all the way. He looked at me with his lips jutted out and his eyes narrowed. I laughed so hard, I started clutching my sides. Tears formed in my eyes, blurring my vision. My laughter died down and I wiped my face.

I was about to start devouring my waffles, but they were gone. "What the heck?!" I exclaimed. My mom started laughing, and Dad tried covering his laugh with a cough. "Where are my waffles?!"

Dad pointed at Matthew, who was happily eating my food. Matthew looked straight at me, and took another bite. "Very yummy," he said with his mouth full. I cringed at the sight. Mom handed me another plate and I put another waffle on it.

We ate breakfast and laughed at each other. It was one of those rare moments that you wish would last forever. But it won't. Tomorrow, I won't be able to do this. Tomorrow, I'm leaving with Ryan. Tomorrow, I have to find my mate, the new King.