21. Our Home and my Home, too

"Ow," was Eda's very stoical, unaffected opinion on Shiomi's special super spicy curry. "This hurts to eat."

Everyone in the dorm was hunched over in agony, and at his response, they whirled around in horror as Eda took his second bite without so much as a flinch.

"God damn this, it's too spicy!" sobbed a third-year, tears streaming down his face and snot leaking through his nose, but he bravely took the second bite only to painfully exclaim, "but damn it this is so good! I can't stop eating!"

A few people beside him do the same, only to exclaim in agonized, fire-breathing yelps afterward.

Though Sekimori's expulsion was unexpected, the other first-years survived the training camp. So in a little late celebration, the Polar Star Dorm was having a curry dinner party to commemorate.

Dressed in their pyjamas and huddled altogether in the kitchen, everyone was happily hustling around, singing and cheering. They were deep in the forest, so it wasn't like the noise would disturb anyone around.

It was warm, and fun.

Eda took a third bite. He hadn't had something this spicy since Tamako brought home a ghost pepper for April Fools last year. (Their regulars still refuse to enter Yukihira for that one day of the year.)

Due to the nature of spicy flavours, curry is usually a little more interesting to eat than anything else. Though muted, he can taste the spice, can feel the burn-- it's just the glorious umami of everything that is usually lost on his already dead taste buds.

For curry like Shiomi-senpais' it's just depressing to not be able to taste her carefully composed mixture of spices. He'll eat it if it's served at dinner, though.

Anyways Eda mainly only ate spicy food to spite the people who couldn't tolerate it.

Like Shinomiya, for example.

"Damn this why is this so good this is unfair--" Shinomiya forcefully swallowed another spoonful, trying to brave it but turning away in fear.

Eda set his clean plate on the sink. "Looks like there's going to be a line at the washrooms tonight," he commented, to which Shiomi chokes on a laugh.

"You seem fine, though? I'm impressed," the senior said.

Eda shrugged. "Got an iron tongue, I guess."

"Not an iron bowel, though," Shinomiya challenged.

"Worry about yourself, shithead."

Shiomi laughed good-naturedly, stirring the pot of curry as she continued serving the eager residents of Polar Star.

"It's quite upsetting that Sekimori won't be around for Autumn Elections this year," she sighed, "I was quite excited to give my all in pitching for his nomination, too."

"Autumn Elections?" Eda asked.

"It's the tournament--" Eda whirled over, Tournament arc?! "--between some selected high school first years in the autumn, woah, you're shining, Eda-chan."

"Sekimori might not be here, but there's still four of us!" the remaining High-school first-years declared, "we're going to kill this tournament, we swear!"

"Well, good luck."

"Shiomi-senpai, your unenthusiastic encouragement leaves us heartbroken!"

Eda, however, was too enamoured by the aspect of an infamous anime tournament arc to be focused on the senior's roars of determination.