Thirty-seven

Ava

I kissed James goodbye before got in my car and drove through the gates, on my way to my own house. He wanted to drive me, as usual, but my parents had just gotten home yesterday and I wasn't fully ready to tell them that I was dating my father's 35-year-old business partner. I wasn't ashamed of James, but my dad has always been very strict with who I date, aside from my mom who just wanted me to be happy.

I had been driving for about ten minutes when I drove by a sign that said 'coffee shop'. Yes please.

I drove off the highway and parked in the parking lot beside the building. It was a rather small coffee shop, but cozy. I walked to the counter and ordered one latte to-go. I still had to get home, my parents were starting to get suspicious that I was away from the house so much.

While I waited for my order I took a seat on one of the chairs by the counter. I looked around, not seeing anyone I recognized. It wasn't too crowded, a few people on the chairs beside me and a couple of people by the tables.

In the corner of my eye, I saw two men stand on either side of me, about three feet away. They looked like they were waiting to get the barista's attention just like any other person would, but their black leather jackets made it hard for them not to stand out. They were both snagged, tall, and muscular, making me feel uncomfortable for some reason. I was suddenly aware that I had absolutely no security around me.

I shook the feeling of discomfort off me, convincing myself that I just had gotten paranoid by being so much with James and his constant talk about me being safe.

I felt one of the man's gazes on the side of my head, and then the other man. They didn't say anything, just stood there and stared at me. I breathed out when the barista handed me the cup of coffee. I turned and started walking towards the door, relieved that I got away from those two men.

Right when I took a hold of the door I heard steps behind me. I gasped when someone grabbed my arm and turned around. It was one of the men. I froze. He lifted his hand, and I was prepared to get a gun in my face, but it was my bag.

"I'm sorry, you just forgot your bag." He said in a gruff accent that I couldn't put a finger on what it was.

See, nothing to be afraid of. I forced a smile and took it from his hand.

"Thank you."

He nodded and I turned around to walk out once again. I felt the adrenaline pumping through my body. The whole situation made me tense but as soon as I was in the car I relaxed. I was kind of embarrassed that I actually thought they were after me, like come on. He just did a nice thing, nothing else.

When I arrived home I had already drunk the whole cup. My parents were in the living room, as they both had the day off, until the afternoon at least. Then I had the house to myself again, but I'm sure James will come over for a while.

I sat with them for a while, just talking. We don't do that much. My parents both are workaholics, but they still care and are there for me at all times.

"You know honey, I heard that James De Luca is looking for a new assistant, maybe you should apply for the job? Wouldn't that be fun?"

I had to hold back a chuckle. Yeah, that would be fun.

"Uhm, I don't know actually, I was thinking about just taking a job at a coffee shop or something."