xxx. i meet the parents way too soon

chapter thirty

─── i meet the parents way too soon

          𝕴 had decided that I was going to take one for the team and kill Tantalus, because I was nice like that. I would make the sacrifice, go to jail for murdering the Camp Director, and everyone could live peacefully. Reason being, the way Tantalus saw the entire bird thing, the Stymphalian birds had simply been minding their own business in the woods and would not have attacked if Annabeth, Tyson, and I hadn't disturbed them with our bad chariot driving.

Luke had then stopped me from cussing the god out.

 He sentenced us to kitchen patrol—scrubbing pots and platters all afternoon in the underground kitchen with the cleaning harpies. The harpies washed with lava instead of water so Annabeth and I had to wear asbestos gloves and aprons, which I think breaks multiple laws.

Tyson didn't mind. He plunged his bare hands right in and started scrubbing, but Annabeth and I had to suffer through hours of hot, dangerous work, especially since there were tons of extra plates. Tantalus had ordered a special luncheon banquet to celebrate Clarisse's chariot victory—a full-course meal featuring country-fried Stymphalian death-bird.

The only good thing about our punishment was that it gave Annabeth and me a common enemy and lots of time to talk. I had reluctantly told her of my dreams.

"If he's really found it," she murmured, "and if we could retrieve it—"

"Hold on," I said. "You act like whatever-it-is Grover found is the only thing in the world that could save the camp. What is it?"

"I'll give you a hint. What do you get when you skin a ram?"

"A nice woolly jumper?"

She sighed. " A fleece. The coat of a ram is called a fleece. And if that ram happens to have golden wool—"

"The Golden Fleece. Are you serious?"

Annabeth scrapped a plateful of death-bird bones into the lava. "Romy, remember the Grey Sisters?"

"How could I forget? They almost killed us on a Thursday, not the day of the week to be killed on."

"They said they knew the location of the thing you seek. And they mentioned Jason. Three thousand years ago, they told him how to find the Golden Fleece. You do know the story of Jason and the Argonauts?"

"Yeah," I said. "That old movie with the clay skeletons."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Oh my gods, Romy! You're so hopeless."