Chapter 7

Aylee struggled to open her eyes at first. After a few seconds, hazel irises focused on a plain white ceiling before they traced along unfamiliar walls that were decorated with boring pictures.

After taking a quick observation of her surroundings she decided to examine the worst of her injuries while she had the chance. Small bandages covered multiple parts of her body that no doubt had stitches thanks to that blonde teen psycho. The woman couldn't move her neck without excruciating pain but from her peripheral, she spotted a heavy wrapping around her shoulder. Handsy did some serious damage, she thought with a frown on her face.

She was so immersed in her injuries and thoughts that she almost missed the red and white-haired child curled up next to her battered body. Aylee was immediately confused. Did she hallucinate Shoto becoming 14? No, she clearly remembered him carrying her out before she lost consciousness. Before Aylee could theorize what possibly happened to Shoto, a doctor walked in through the door unannounced.

"How are you feeling Ms. Tanaka?" He held a chart in his hands with a pen at the ready, clearly expecting a timely response from his patient.

"Sore and tired." His pen moved rapidly at her hoarse words no doubt scribbling down words that no one else can read. Doctors notoriously have bad handwriting, not that she could really judge.

"That's to be expected. Recovery girl is on the way to heal your more serious injuries."

Aylee nodded in understanding. "Is Shoto ok?"

"He's completely fine. But, he put up quite a fight when some of our nurses tried to get him to leave your room."

She smoothed back the loose hair strands from his closed eyes and looked him over for any missed cuts or bruises. The busy doctor watched them with a hidden smile before writing something else down and finally exiting the room.

An hour later a sharp knock rapped on the door.

It was loud enough to rouse Aylee from her deep slumber. Aizawa strode into her hospital room and stood at her bedside.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm a little banged up but still alive." Her face pulled into a teasing grin she tried to ease the unbearably thick tension in the air.

"How's Todoroki?" Aizawa said while worriedly staring at the 5-year-old snuggled against his caretaker.

"He's the reason I'm still breathing." Carefully, Aylee slowly sat up without moving Shoto too much. She took a much needed deep breath before she began to explain the entire situation.

"Shoto and I were being robbed by a mugger, who I knocked out. But then two villains showed up and kidnapped us. I couldn't escape and fell unconscious after a large blow to my head. I woke up in a new location and Shoto was nowhere I could see. One of the villains with a fire quirk tried to chat me up and possibly gain intel on Shoto or UA. Then the rest of them came, dragging in Shoto with them, and tried to make him join their team. Their leader said that their goal was to reveal the true nature of heroes and show the public its corrupt nature. The leader fully expected Shoto to join with no problems and was confused when he refused. After his refusal, they began to torture me with a disintegration quirk and a fire quirk to try and force him to join them. I was about to be killed when suddenly, Shoto rapidly grew into a teenager again. I broke my fingers to get out of my handcuffs and used my quirk before the villain could hurt him."

She began to lose her voice halfway through her explanation and was practically wheezing at the end. Aizawa immediately grabbed the pitcher of water and cup on the bedside table and poured her some water. Aylee eagerly gulped down the cool liquid and felt instant relief on her burning throat.