One Year Later

I am now six going on twenty-six and at the compound alone. I am barely old enough to go to a summer day camp, and yet here I am at the compound alone, and it's just shy of midnight. I am supposed to be asleep, but how can I sleep when everybody else is away. I have only been alone for an hour or so since Natasha, who lets me call her Mom around the compound, is on a mission in who knows where since earlier this week, and Uncle Clint just left a little while ago and is at the Shield research headquarters dealing with a crisis with the Tesseract.

The next morning I wake up at my usual 8:00 AM and get dressed and go downstairs, and I see an unusual sight of Phil and Maria standing in the kitchen waiting for me. "Good Morning!" I say cheerfully although I know something is very wrong. "Good Morning Hadley!" says Phil. I hug him then I high five him. "Hadley, I don't know how else to put this, but Clint has been compromised by Loki the God of Mischief from Asgard, and the Tesseract has been taken. We are pulling a team together to locate the Tesseract and also activate the Avengers Initiative. So what I'm trying to say here is, Hadley, go upstairs and pack a bag. We're going to the Helicarrier!" said Maria. My jaw basically hit the floor at the sound of that bit of news. Gone are the days where Nat and Uncle Clint are always home.

I teleport upstairs and grab my suitcase and throw four outfits in it and zip it up and change into my suit, which looks like Nat's, except mine has a gold three sparkles logo where her red hourglass logo is. Then I grab Marvel, my stuffed animal Snow Leopard, my sketchbook, colored pencils, and a few books and throw those in my backpack along with some candy. Then I put my backpack on, grab the handle of my suitcase and teleport back downstairs into the kitchen, where I grab an energy bar and follow Phil and Maria to a Quinjet which we fly to the Helicarrier in.

We arrive at the Helicarrier, and I teleport myself and my stuff to my room which is a lot smaller than my room at the compound, but I like the change of environments. My bedroom in the Helicarrier has a desk, a dresser, a private bathroom, and a bed, of course. I love that my bed has a window right behind it. I put my backpack on my bed and my suitcase next to my bed.

Then I teleport to the main part of the Helicarrier and take in the ocean view since we haven't taken off yet. As I walk around the main room, I receive some fist bumps and high fives from some agents who know me since I have been around for a year.

Then I hear someone call my name, and I turn around and see Phil motioning for me to come over to him. I walk over to him, and I stand next to him as he places a phone call. I am trying not to listen, but at the same time, I am a six-year-old kid, so what do you expect.

Then I hear Coulson say, "Put the woman on the phone, or I will blow the block before you make the lobby." I guess the phone got handed to whoever is on the other end because then Coulson says, "We need you to come in." Then I hear a familiar voice talk on the other end. The voice says, "Are you kidding? I am working. I am in the middle of an interrogation, and this moron is giving me everything. Look, you can't pull me out of this right now." Phil responds to Nat by saying "Natasha, Barton has been compromised." Knowing Nat, this really hit her hard, then she says, "Let me put you on hold." Phil and I can hear her fighting through the phone, which makes me smile because she is winning from the sound of it. Then after a few minutes, she said "Where is Barton now?" "We don't know" "But he's alive?" "We think so. I will brief you on everything when you get back. But first, I need you to talk to the big guy." "Coulson you know that Stark trusts me about as far as he can throw me." Ugh! That's right, Tony Stark is a part of the Avengers Initiative, which means I have to work with him. "Oh, I have got Stark. You get the big guy." I hear Nat freeze.

"Where is Hadley?" Phil hands me the phone, and I say, "Hi Nat! I miss you!" "Hi, Hads! I miss you too! I will be back real soon, and I can't wait to see you!" "Me too! I have been counting down the seconds till you're back!" I can basically hear Nat smile through the phone before she says, "I have to go. Love you Hads!" "I love for Infinity, Nat! Bye!" Then Nat hangs up the phone. "Thanks for letting me listen!" I say to Coulson. "My pleasure, just don't tell Nick or Maria, or we will both be in trouble." "Ok! Works for me!" I say cheerfully. "Good luck getting Stark!" I say with a mix of sarcasm and annoyance in my voice.

Then I walk away towards the runways on the roof, and I see Maria and say "Hi." Then I teleport the three floors or so up to the roof. Once I am outside, I use my Telekinesis to fly. I fly above the Helicarrier and took in the stunning view. "Now, this is something that you don't see every day, even with a life as crazy as mine." I say out loud. As I fly a little bit to the left of the Helicarrier, I see a pod of dolphins, and I wave because why not.

Then I fly back to the Helicarrier and see Maria, who asks where I had been, and I say, "I was only gone for like, five minutes and you miss me already! That is so sweet!" Then Maria smiles and rolls her eyes, and I smile back. Then I walk away to my room, thinking that I just said something Pietro and Wanda would totally get a kick out of.

I arrive at my room, take Marvel out of my backpack, and put him on my bed. After that, I take out three picture frames and put them on my window sill. One of the pictures is Wanda, Pietro, and I, another one of my parents and me, and the other is of Nat, Uncle Clint, and I. I have the same three pictures in a mini foldable picture book that I always carry in my pocket.

Then I put my sketchbook, colored pencils, and books on my desk and teleport to the main room. I see a Shield agent playing Galaga, so I watch him do that and help him win. Then I teleport myself into the vents and crawl around, watching everything happening below me before deciding to go back to my room, so I teleport there.

Then I make sure my door is closed before playing with my Telekinesis by making Marvel fly around my room. Then I put Marvel back on my bed and grab a book off of my desk. I choose The Magic Treehouse and Dinosaurs Before Dark.

My mind is far from the incredible world within my book, but I need a distraction from the crazy world of Shield and its problems. I know that the reality is that my seemingly current carefree childhood is about to become a fond fairytale memory. The call to duty is coming and coming fast. Man is acting older than my age hard and exhausting. On the outside, I look calm and I sound calm, but on the inside, I am completely freaking out! Before it actually happened to me, this life sounded like a dream come true but now that it is actually my life, I would do basically anything to have my old calm life back where my parents are alive, I know where Wanda and Pietro are, and I live in the quiet country of Sokovia.

Before reading my book, I look at my Shield watch, and it is now 11:00 AM. (I made this up but, a Shield Watch is like an Apple Watch, but it has special Shield features like coding/decoding, hacking, texting, calling, emailing, holograms, games, comms, calculator, recording system, music, telling time, time zones, locator, electric shock, flashlight, social media, news, compass, travel distance, steps, language translation, calendar, health levels, injury detector, photos, and videos).

I read for hours only pausing three times. Once for food, once to go to the bathroom, and once to eat some Sweet Tarts. I look at my Shield Watch and it says it's 5:30. I put a bookmark in my book, which I am a little more than halfway through, and teleport to the cafeteria for dinner.

It's buffet style, so I select Mac & Cheese, grapes, and the type of Lemonade that comes in a glass bottle. For dessert, I chose a birthday cake cookie. After I finished eating, I teleport back to my room to finish my book before bedtime.

I change into PJs before diving back into my book. I finish my book at 8:30 and put it on my desk before brushing my teeth and turning out my bedroom light.

Then I hop in bed. Before falling asleep, I said, "Good night, Nat and Uncle Clint where ever you are! And good night Wanda and Pietro! I miss you so much!" Then I stared at the ceiling for a little while before falling asleep.