Chapter 9

Mason just went to the terrace and sat on the floor. He was hungry and frustrated and might lash out at someone if he weren't alone. He used to work part time as a babysitter at times in his previous life but had never met with such cunning children. Weren't 12 year olds supposed to be cutely laughing and playing around? Why does it look like they are planning my murder? Sinking into his own deep thoughts Mason eventually fell asleep. It was afternoon and the weather was quite warm and nice.

After a few hours, Mason eventually woke up to some rustling next to him. He turned to look at the person through his blurry sleepy eyes that eventually created a clear vision. It was a random kid. If he wasn't wrong, this kid was from his class. The kid was just sitting there looking at the sky and distant lands. He had silver blond hair that almost looked white with soft facial features of a child. His eyes were a dark shade of black contradicting his hair beautifully. His honey coloured skin looked smooth and moist. Can I bite him?

"School's already over. You didn't come to class since lunch and the teachers are mad."

Those words brought Mason back to reality. He slept through the entire afternoon and didn't even wake up during the bells in between classes. What kind of sleep is that!!! Forget it, it's already too late to do anything anyway.

"Who are you?", asked Mason.

"Zilon Lerauld Oberoi."

Mason had no clue who Zilon Lerauld Oberoi was but he was concerned for the kid who was sitting all alone on the terrace. His babysitter energy flared up and he asked in a coaxing voice, "What are you doing here alone, Zilon?".

"If I'm alone then what are you? A ghost?"

Ooooookay spicy. This kid's words weren't as cute as his face but Mason was still expecting to make a few friends in school. So, he gathered up his courage and asked, "Do you wanna be friends?".

Zilon looked him up and down with judgy eyes and said, "Sure."

Mason wasn't the best at making friends so he was nervous but Zilon's reply made him delighted. In his always innocent and dumb face, a beautiful smile bloomed. Zilon who was staring at Mason all this while, was left dumbstruck for a second before his ears turned red in embarassment and he turned his face away.

Zilon and Mason had a small conversation for the next 30 minutes which was mostly just Mason talking and then got up to go home. Both of their carriages were waiting for them but Mason decided to send Zilon off first. Before Zilon got inside his carriage he warned Mason about how, after his fight with the princes, the whole school is trying to denounce him to gain favour in the princes's eyes. Mason already had a rough idea about this but thanked Zilon anyway.

As he was travelling back to home in his carriage, Mason pondered over his situation and thought that he might be in a bad situation from now on. Probably no one would want to be with him, like his previous friends who left him without even turning back once after they got to know about his situation. He was ready to be criticized and taunted for a while. They will eventually move their focus from him after a few weeks at most. How much could mere 12 and 13 year olds hurt me anyway.

He went back to his house only to be lectured by his Father for not attending half a day worth of class. Tired Mason then dragged himself to the kitchen and looked at Greta pitifully. Greta took one look at the little fourth young master before she knew what she had to do. She placed a warm and sumptuous meal in front of Mason and listened quietly as Mason explained what happened in school while eating. The servants along with Greta who had gathered around to watch the baby hamster eat and talk felt their heart break after listening to Mason's summary. But they were mere servants, they didn't have the rights to do anything more than treating him a little better than usual.

Jadon who had steeled his heart said, "Nobody would hurt you if you were a good kid."

Mason felt bad. Maybe he did do something wrong and that's why he was being punished. He eventually moved on to the subject of Zilon and ended the story on a happy note. He felt super groggy when going back to his room but didn't let Jadon carry him like last time. He criticized himself saying, "Bad kids like me should suffer." and walked by himself.

--------------------------

Days eventually passed by and Mason started to hang out with Marcus more often. Eventhough it was mostly quiet or mostly only Mason talking in the beginning, Marcus seemed to warm up to him. Gradually, the two brothers started chit chating about random stuff and began to have tea together. Mason also tried to include Myles and Mark but both of them were just heartless. Whatever Mason did, they just ignored him like he was non-existent. Mason also just accepted their behaviour and began to stay with Marcus more. Never the less, he never dared to go ask the duke to hangout with him.

Mason started to call Marcus as brother Max ever since they got closer. Mason looked up to Marcus with eyes of worship whenever he did anything. He was truly a genius. From his knowledge in almost everything, sword fighting to equestrianism (horse riding), Marcus was just too good at it.

Mason would just sit, observe and make some beautiful art while taking Marcus as a model. He would also nervously show his completed art work to Marcus and receive some praise in return. Days passed by with Mason and Marcus just enjoying each other's company which progressively caught the attention of the other two brothers. They saw Marcus having fun ruffling Mason's hair, pinching his cheeks and being looked up to with eyes of admiration. A small urge of being in Marcus's shoes came over them. It felt like someone was pulling the strings of their hearts, a little itchy. Hanging out with the brat doesn't look too bad but they were truly too busy ah.

On the other hand, Mason's situation in school wasn't getting better.