31 | Caren

I had Chloe securely buckled in her car seat in my father's Rams 1500 truck to return she and Calen to their Grandmother before Xavier came back in another hour

               I had Chloe securely buckled in her car seat in my father's Rams 1500 truck to return she and Calen to their Grandmother before Xavier came back in another hour. But Calen was still inside making me walk to the door. "Calen! Come on now! We have to go!"

               "I'm ain't done!" he hollered.

               "Bring it with you!"

               I went to my father's truck, climbing inside with the big ignition already started. Shortly after my father coming out with Calen sitting on his shoulders and snickering. My father held his arms out as if he was an airplane making me smile. He stopped at backdoor and opened it sitting Calen on the seat. "And we have landed."

               "Seatbelt."

               "Yup, seatbelt." My father buckled him in. "What do Paw-Paw always tell you and Zay?"

               "We are kings and we po-tect mommy and Coco!" Calen recited excitedly making my father chuckle.

               "That's right. I love you. . You love Paw-Paw?"

               "Yeah, I love Paw-Paw!"

               "Good. Gimme a hug." My father grunted playfully as they embraced one another. "Alright, I'll see you soon."

               "Okay, bye, Paw-Paw."

               My father closed the door and stood at the driver side to speak with me. "You be careful."

               "I will, Dad. I should be back in about forty minutes."

               "I'll be up waiting." he assured before returning in the house.

               I drove twenty minutes to a city located in Dallas County and to a Hackberry Creek, a gated community Xavier's nanny Glenn resides in. I pulled in the driveway of the one-story brick house, parking. Calen was sleep when I prepared to get them out. I carried a sleeping Calen on one side and Chloe's car seat on the other. I approached the entrance when the door snatched open and Xavier angrily stood there.

               "Here we go." I mumbled low under my breath. "I thought you were outta town."

               "Yeah, I got back here a hour early just to find out you and the fuckin' nanny in cahoots."