58

The walk to the bus station was longer than you'd anticipated. And after the first few minutes, you were already wishing that you'd brought a heavier jacket. 

As you and Bakugou walked, a heavy silence settled over the two of you. It had only been about a week since your fight, but with everything that had happened, it felt like it had been months.

He was the first to break the silence. "I know you might still be pissed, but since we're gonna be doing this together I need you to tell me everything. It's not gonna help anything if I walk into this blindly."

You raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean by everything?"

"I mean anything that you haven't told me. Starting from when you first started working with Hawks and keeping secrets." There was an accusatory tone to his voice.

"Last I checked, I already did try and explain that to you." You said. "You were the one who cut me off and refused to listen." 

"Yeah, that might be true, but I've also tried to fix it by talking to you multiple times, and each time you've been the one to cut me off. Don't act like I'm the only one that messed things up. You said it yourself, we both did shit."

He was right, but you refused to say it, instead, you began to explain everything that you'd kept secret.

You told him of how Hawks had convinced you to work with him, how he told you that you could make a real difference in the world. You told him of the nights you'd gone out and patrolled the city, how the people you'd gone after had been villains, even if they weren't recognized as such. You talked about how Hawks had gained your trust and how you'd been ready to say goodbye to him after the incident with the Nomu until you'd found what he was hiding on his laptop.

Throughout your explanation, Bubbles gave his commentary from the pocket in your bag, saying things along the lines of "I knew that dude was sneaky from the moment his feather landed on the porch," and, "I can't believe you didn't realize the phone was a tracker, even I could tell and I'm a damn fish."

Bakugou didn't say anything, and you wished that he could hear Bubbles talking, it would make the entire experience a lot funnier for you.

You paused after telling him what you'd done to the cop that had been out that same night you'd learned of Hawks' betrayal, and you could tell that he was fighting with himself over what reaction to have.

"Going after the officer was a stupid move," he stated. "But I probably would've done  the same thing if I'd seen that bastard out in the streets." He paused for another moment before speaking again. "So, Hawks is working with the League?"

You scrunched your face a little as though you were contemplating his question. "Ehhh, that's where shit gets even more confusing. He claimed that he grew up with my mom and promised her that he'd protect me, but that wouldn't make sense because he was only a little kid when I was born. All For One told me that he'd taken Hawks in and trained him to be my protector somehow, but then my mom had run away with him and taken him to the hero commission, apparently, he's been betraying the league this whole time, which I guess would make sense. Honestly, I don't know, and I don't necessarily feel like asking him about it, there's a good chance that he'll lie again."

"Yeah..." Bakugou looked down. "So, he was the one who told you to keep the whole thing a secret?"

"He said that if anyone found out it could mean trouble, and I knew that there was a potential leak in the school so I couldn't risk being found out." You looked over to him. "I wanted to tell you, but even on that first day when the news story came out, you were so quick to villainize the person, even if you didn't know it was me, hearing that was terrifying. I couldn't stomach the thought of you seeing me like that, like I was a villain." You loosed a breath of amusement. "Obviously, it ended up happening anyway."