15 Friends

Chapter 15

***

"Come on, don't be like that."

Silence.

"Layla..."

Nope.

"Queen of drama, will you speak to me?"

"How am I the queen of drama?" I snap, turning my head to Lucas. The annoying bastard has been trying to get a rise out of me ever since I was forced into his abnormally clean car. I'm freshly showered, yet probably the filthiest object in this vehicle.

The freak rolls his playful eyes before directing them at the traffic. "Keep talking to me with that attitude and I'll drop you on the side of the road."

"Gladly. I'd rather be left outside than be subjected to your presence."

He smacks his lips. "Are you hungry? Is that what's bothering you?" He notices me burning holes into his profile and raises his eyebrows. "I will feed you, little monster."

"I am not-" I growl and shut my eyes, leaning my head back in the headrest of the seat.

"Solid or liquid?"

"Huh?" I scowl, eyes still closed.

"Does the little monster like her food solid or liquid?"

An involuntary snort slips out of me. "Go fuck yourself, Lucas."

"You were nicer in New York, you know. I don't think LA is good for you."

I open my eyes with a sigh, crossing my arms around my growling abdomen. I guess he's right, we both had a great time in New York. Things were different. I was in control. Why am I not in control? What has changed?

I look at Lucas, at the way he's leaned back in his seat, one arm stretched to grip the steering wheel. Back then when I'd look at Lucas, I'd see a disgusting fly, a peasant, an infuriating demon from the burning flames of hell. Now, he's this man. This tall and dark and masculine and mischievous asshole who is distracting me from becoming the boss I'm meant to be.

"What do you want?" I ask him, prior fury replaced with curiosity.

"Pardon?"

I shift my body to face him more, tilting my head. "What do you want from me?"

"From you?" He raises his eyebrow, giving me a weird look. "A decision on what to eat would be a nice start, if you're capable."

I click my tongue. "I'm not eating with you. Why are you trying to spend time with me all of a sudden?"

"Because they'll call animal control if I leave you in the car."

I've had enough of this. Two can play at this game. And Layla will not lose to Lucas.

"Do you like me, Lucas?" I smile at him.

"Do you want me to like you, Layla?" He asks cautiously, amusement tugging on his lips.

"Don't avoid the question." I smirk, scooting closer to him. "Tell me, is that why you had me on your lap, why you had Michael and I sit so far away, why you asked them to leave so you could take me home?"