Chapter 154

One by one, the Order members left Grimmauld Place after Dumbledore gave them each their individual missions. Sirius and Jenna were now the only ones left in the kitchen, neither of them daring to speak first.

They hadn't heard exactly what had happened between Remus and Tonks upstairs, but they could tell that a tough argument had taken place.

"I can't believe he left like that..." Jenna whispered in disbelief.

"I would've gone too, if I had the chance. But I would've done so for the sake of the Order and helping the Wizarding world. Not to escape my problems." Sirius shook his head angrily. "He's pushing away every shot of happiness that he could ever have, just because he thinks he's not worthy of it."

Jenna sighed heavily, running a hand through her hair in exhaustion. What was supposed to be an important day for her, had turned into a messed up evening. Although it felt as though days had passed, instead of hours.

As though reading the misery through her expression, Sirius gave Jenna a sad smile and walked toward her, bringing her into a comforting hug.

"I'm sorry you didn't get to meet Harry," he said, placing a gentle kiss on top of her head as she hugged him back.

"Me too," Jenna muttered under her breath. "And now I'll have to wait again. The Order needs me. I don't think I'll ever find the time to talk to him properly the way I want to, the way things are going. Or at least, not until all this madness is over. And then... it will be too late."

"I'm sure you'll find time," said Sirius, pulling slightly away to offer her a warm and reassuring smile. "It'll never be too late."

But Jenna only shook her head and looked away, feeling the lump in her throat growing. "What if I die without getting to know him?"

"Don't say that!" Sirius said sharply, frowning. "We'll be fine. It will all be over someday. We can make it through this. I promise."

Jenna then pulled away from his arms, turning her back to him so he wouldn't see her teary eyes.

"That's exactly what you said sixteen years ago, and look what happened," she whispered, trying to blink her tears away.

"This time it's different." Sirius walked toward her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "We are more prepared this time. Besides, we have Lexi. She saved my life, didn't she?"

"Yeah..." Jenna mumbled, trying not to think of what would've happened if Lexi wasn't there that day at the Ministry.

"Come on, Jenny," Sirius spoke softly, walking closer to her to wrap his arms around her from behind. "Let's go back home. We both have long day ahead of us."

"Long weeks, more like it," Jenna said with a hint of a tired grin, remembering all the things they had to do to help defy the Death Eaters, starting tomorrow.

Sirius smiled without her noticing, before planting a small kiss on her shoulder. He then grabbed onto her hand, leading her out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

They were about to leave the house, but Jenna stopped in her tracks when she heard a noise coming from upstairs.

"What?" Sirius asked, glancing at her curiously.

"Someone's crying," said Jenna in a quiet tone, frowning. They both figured that it was Tonks. "You go back home. I'll catch up with you later."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

Sirius hesitated at first, but he nodded at last before leaving Grimmauld Place. Gulping, Jenna walked up the stairs, toward the parlor. With each step that she took, the sound of the woman crying got louder to her ears.

Peeking inside the parlor, Jenna spotted Tonks sitting on the couch, her face buried in her palms as she sobbed softly.

"Hey," Jenna called lightly, although Tonks jumped out of her skin either way, turning to see who it was.

When she sighted Jenna, Tonks briskly looked away, trying to quickly wipe her tears.

"Wotcher," she said, trying to hold her voice from breaking.

"It's a stupid question to ask how you're doing," said Jenna, walking toward Tonks and sitting beside her on the couch. "So, all I can ask is... is there anything I can do to help?"

"Not really." Tonks pursed her lips together, avoiding Jenna's eyes.

"Hey, don't be shy. I'm open to any suggestions! Even if your answer is 'haunting Remus down and beating him up', you can count me in."

Tonks laughed, shaking her head as she let out a sniff. "I just... don't understand him. At all."

"Yeah... men are complicated creatures." Jenna sighed dramatically in wisdom.

Jenna realized that Tonks's hair had turned brown, and she could completely understand why. This always happened to her whenever she went through an emotional shock, whether it was her parents dying, or James and Lily.

"Maybe it's just not worth the effort," Tonks whispered in defeat. "I'm being silly..."

"Look," Jenna started, speaking more firmly this time, "Men can be idiots sometimes — okay, most of the time — I mean, almost always — but that doesn't mean your love isn't worth it, and you're not being silly at all."

"Then why would he run from me like that? Is the idea of being with me that horrible to him?"

"Remus is just... Well, he always used to beat himself up over his condition, thinking that he didn't deserve happiness because of what he was."

"But that's —"

"That's bullshit, I know." Jenna rolled her eyes.

Tonks chuckled. "I was going to say 'that's insane', but your version works too, I guess."

Jenna then smirked at her. "Remus is an idiot, that's one thing for sure. But he has to face his problems on his own, and come to the conclusion by himself. But that doesn't mean that you're not worthy of love. And you know what? If I were a boy, you would be my first bootycall."

They both laughed at that, and Jenna then smiled at the memory, remembering that this was exactly Marlene's words when she was trying to comfort Jenna.

Once their laughter finally faded away, Tonks nudged Jenna with a little smile. "Thanks."

"For saying you'd be my first bootycall?"

"Wha — no!" Tonks laughed again, shaking her head. "For speaking with me. It's been... very lonely lately."

"Of course." Jenna smiled. "I'll always be there if you ever needed a friend."