29| missing

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

The past 3 days have been some of the busiest of my life. There's about 2 weeks left before we head back to Chicago, so I've been trying to make preparations so assimilation is easier for Dove. The last thing I want is for her to get to Chicago and automatically become overwhelmed by all of it. Even though I've lived there my entire life, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a lot for me sometimes.

"Have you decided where you want to stay yet?" I ask her.

She's laying on my bed, flipping through a book and kicking her feet in the air. "I think."

"Care to share with the class?"

Dove looks up, biting her lip gently. I know there's no ulterior motives behind it, but whenever she does that I just want to kiss her. Why does my brain go there? No idea. But that's the road it decides to travel down.

"If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to take you up on your offer of staying in the penthouse,"she says after a few moments.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ecstatic. When I made the offer, I thought she would immediately shoot down the idea, instead she hit me with a "maybe". There's more than enough space for Damon, Adonis, Dove and I, so it'll be far from cramped. Plus, Damon's been thinking about getting his own penthouse for a while, so after a while it might just be the two of us.

Dove sighs and sits up, a few strands of her hair coming out of its ponytail.  "As much as I would love to stay and do absolutely nothing, I have to head to Coastal for a meeting. You can survive on your own for an hour, right?"

"Don't you worry, I'll only burn half the house down," I smirk.

She walks over and wraps her arms around my waist. "If you burn it to the ground, then where will we stay?"

"I guess we'll just head up to Chicago earlier than expected." I lean down and give her a quick kiss. Fuck, I wish it lasted longer, but she lets go and walks away as soon as it's over.

It's not too bad, I guess. Just an hour. Plus, I need to call my mom. She's going to kick my ass if I don't tell her about Dove now. I can already see her, yelling about how I didn't tell her about my gorgeous friend from down South. Even so, I know she'll love her. How couldn't she? There's just something about Dove that makes her inherently loveable. It's beyond me how someone could ever hate her.

Instead of a standard call, I decide to facetime Mom. It's been a while since I've seen her face, and it'll be nice to talk to her while looking her in the eye. Plus, it makes the conversation just a little less awkward for me. One would think that telling her while looking at her would make me more nervous, but something about Mom's presence just washes this sense of calm over me. It's been like this since I was a kid. Whenever I would get overwhelmed, or have a particularly bad day, just a few seconds with her would turn everything on its head.