Stay Away

"Yes?" Simon answered looking to the owner of the voice. Asher stood a few feet away holding a few bags. He had a blonde girl with him, and Simon felt a pang he didn't understand. "Oh. Hello Asher."

"What're you doing here?" Asher asked. He had a bright smile on his face, but Simon shifted his eyes to Ashers white sneakers.

"Nothing. I'm just shopping with my broth.."

"Who's this?" Liam interrupted. Simon hadn't noticed him exit the store, but he'd returned with a small shopping bag.

"Woah man. You're Liam Matthews." Asher grinned. "You're a legend at school. I'm the new quarterback, but I'm no where near as good as you used to be." It was almost funny to Simon to see the boys like that. Asher towered over him, but even so Liam had at least two inches on the quarterback.

"Liam, this is Asher Ericsson from school." Simon introduced him, and Asher held out his hand for a handshake, but Liam just stared at it his face void of emotion.

"We should get going." Asher recovered, running the forgotten hand through his hair. "I'll see you at school, Simon."

"Like hell he will." Liam stated when the couple was out of earshot.

....

"Liam?" Simon asked after a silent ride home from the mall. "Are you mad at me?"

"No."

"Are you sure?" Simon asked again.

"Yes."

"You seem mad." Simon pressed.

     "Well maybe I am mad." Liam's voiced raised slightly.

      "What are you mad about?" Simon's voice rose to meet it. Liam had a harsh voice, Simon's sounded more upset than angry, and it made carrying strength in an argument difficult.

      "I told you not to see him anymore." Liam grunted.

      "And I told you you're not in charge."

     "Well I am." Liam shouted. "Mom's gone. Dad's gone. Grandma and Grandpa are gone. You need someone to take care of you, so I'm in charge."

      "I do not!" Simon countered.

     "Well clearly you do, your decision making is severely challenged."

      "I can do what I want when I want." Simon insisted.

      "Not while I'm alive." Liam practically screamed, "And if you don't like that, you can leave."

"You're my brother, stop acting like my father!" Simon turned and sprinted back up the stairs to his bedroom. He flopped on the bed and buried his face in his pillows. Sometimes Liam could be incredibly annoying and it bothered Simon. Their grandparents had said they fought like an old married couple, and Simon figured it must be true. After a few moments of laying on the bed there was a knock at his door.

"Simon? Could I come in?" Liam asked.

"Fine." Simon responded quietly. Liam opened the door and walked over to the bed. Simon sat up to look at him, and for once Liam held his gaze.

"I'm sorry. I got carried away." Liam let out a large breath, and sat down on the bed next to Simon. "I know I can be a little..."

"Annoying?" Simon finished for him.

"That too." Liam chuckled, "But I was going to say protective. It's just..." He lifted his hand to his face, and rubbed his forehead. "I lost dad, and I lost mom, and I can't lose you too. I just can't." Liam's voice cracked and he sounded like he was on the verge of tears. This was the first time he had ever been so open about his feelings. Simon looked into his blue eyes and saw something Liam almost never showed: vulnerability. "You have to just... just trust me on this one. You need to just stay away from him, if not for yourself then for me."

"Liam..."

"I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. I really don't. I can't..." Liam's upper lip quivered, and Simon wrapped him in a tight hug rubbing circles on his brothers back.

"You're not going to lose me. You can't get rid of me that easily." Simon stated, and Liam let out a snort of laughter. "But if I'm going to trust you, then you need to trust me."

"I do trust you. It's him I don't trust."

"I can handle myself, and I'll tell you if I can't." Simon obliged.

"Do you promise?"

"I promise."