Chapter 54 - The CatCo Plan

"I'm considering buying CatCo." Lena says, clarifying everything, so it is absolutely clear as to what she is considering.

Kara is silent for a moment, just looking at Lena, seemingly lost in thought. Lena for her part just allows Kara to take her time to think, even if the silence makes her incredibly nervous.

"Lena... would you... would you only be doing this for me?" Kara eventually asks, in a slightly timid voice.

Lena's first instinct is to lie to Kara, and say she isn't, and try and come up with some other reason as to why she is thinking about buying CatCo, just to save Kara from any potential feelings that Sam mentioned early. However, Lena knows that she does not want to do that to Kara, she doesn't want to lie to her. Lena thinks that if she does lie to Kara, just to make her girlfriend feel better, and feel less guilty, if Kara were to find out later that she did lie, then that could blow up their relationship, and make things worse between them again.

Lena sighs, as she looks at Kara, knowing that she has to tell her girlfriend the truth.

"I won't lie to you Kara... I would be buying CatCo for you... I... I know how much the company means to you... and I don't want you to be upset." Lena admits, honestly.

Kara is once more silent as she looks at Lena.

"Lena... I... I don't want you spending your money, just buying me things, even a company, just to make me feel better, that isn't why I am with you. I am with you because you are kind, loving, beautiful, caring, and so many other wonderful things. I don't care about your money; it is not important to me. You could be broke, or homeless, and I would still love you." Kara says.

Lena smiles lovingly at Kara in response to the Kryptonian's words, her heart filling with joy with the affirmation that Kara truly thinks such wonderful things of her. Of course, Lena already knew this, but even so, it is nice for Kara to once more say it to her, and remind her of it.

"I know darling.... and thank you for saying that to me. But you should know, that my money doesn't mean anything to me. I love spoiling the people I love and care for, and taking care of them, no matter how much it costs. So that IS something that you need to get used to, because I do intend to make sure that you and Alura want for absolutely nothing." Lena explains.

Kara bites her lip nervously as she looks at Lena, feeling a wave of affection come over her, even though she doesn't know how she feels about Lena saying she will spoil her, with her money.

"I... okay... but.... a multi-million-dollar company.... is too much." Kara says.

Lena sighs once more.

"That is why Sam suggested that I talk to you about it first, as originally after you left, I was just going to start the process of buying CatCo then and there." Lena explains, "But Sam made it clear to me, that if I were to buy CatCo, things may not turn out how I expect them to, as you might have issues with it, or feel just awkward by it."

Kara is silent for a moment as she thinks.

"I.... I don't know Lee... I'm... conflicted.." Kara says, "I do want CatCo to stay around so I can continue to work there, but not only for me, for all my co-workers who will be losing their jobs otherwise. But then... on the other side... a part of me would fill guilty with you spending so much money on me.... and... it might be a bit awkward... with people knowing my girlfriend bought the company because of me."

"Yeah... Sam suggested something similar." Lena replies. "But look Kara, I have been doing some thinking since I talked to Sam, and even though my main reason for buying CatCo would be for you, I do see potential to expand my business by entering the media world. If I were to buy CatCo, I could make sure that we still have a news organisation that is fair and balanced, and checks their facts before publishing, and doesn't just write clickbait articles. Then at the same time, I could use the magazine to not only discuss L-Corp projects, but other scientific projects from time to time, as information coverage about such things is rather lacking in the media. In fact, your articles that you have written about L-Corp have shown that there is an audience that craves to learn about technologies companies are working on. So acquiring CatCo, could be good for me, and L-Corp, although I obviously wouldn't just use it as a marketing tool or anything, or control what reporters write in regards to L-Corp. I would however use it to drum up a bit more publicity for L-Corp, but not in a bad way."