ten.

No perspective.

It was dead in the middle of the night and Helena was very alarmed, waiting for just any whimper or cry for help. It was her job in her mind, one she could not fail. So she never did. She distracted herself until it was time. Like cleaning, exercising, and making coffee.

She turned her head to the clock, her eyes feeling like the weight of a thousand bricks, it read 2:37 AM. She tiredly shot herself up and opened her nightstand draw. She pulled out a plastic bag, a very small one with a zip lock, that normally contains pills. She popped an amphetamine in her mouth and swallowed it dry.

"I have to stay awake. I can't fall asleep." she chanted to herself. Helena was a lot of things. A protector, a provider. The list could go on forever. But one thing she wasn't was, looking out for herself. It was always her brothers before her. And because of that, she didn't notice how she never got to sleep at night. Maybe an hour or two during the day. It was just the uneasiness that kept her hostage and awake.

Why can't I just let myself fall asleep? I've forgotten all their words. Especially Tobias'. She said in her head.

As the pill set into her system, she felt more awake than ever. Happy that she never had to see those traumatic moments as she closed her eyes. She jumped off her bed and stretched her aching limbs. She strolled out of the room and down the stairs to the kitchen. The house was dimly lit. She entered the kitchen and turned on the stove light because the room light was far too bright for her eyes at the moment. She pulled out some frozen cheesecake and heated it up. Everything was still and quiet, of course except the oven.

Then a camera shot was heard. She looked around and saw nothing. "It might be that the pill heightened my senses." She lied to herself. Another echoed across the room seconds later and she looked behind her. The window was somewhat half open and a masked man with a camera. It took her a few seconds to finally think about him clearly.

Finally, she grabbed the knife and threw it at the masked man, hitting him straight in his face. He yelled in agony. A neighbourly feeling of adrenaline coursed through her veins as she picked up a cup on the washing rack, throwing it towards him. The corridor light lit and a pair of running footsteps were heard.

"Helena!" Xavier yelled as he sprinted into the kitchen. The man was still crying in pain as Helena just kept throwing stuff at him. Xavier noticed the man and ran out onto the porch to catch him. Helena followed to see who the person was. Xavier dragged him to the ground and pulled the mask off, straddling to make sure he doesn't run off.

It wasn't someone they knew. 

"You pervert." she spat realising she was just in shorts and a cropped shirt.

"How did you even get over the gate?" Xavier asked. The man didn't answer, just rolled his eyes. "I asked you a fucking question."

"He will rule the world. He is superio-"

"Listen, we don't give a shit about whatever cult king you have. Answer the fucking question." Xavier snapped impatiently. Helena just watched him closely. She'd only seen the nice, calm and funny version but she loved this cold and pissed off side of him. Remind me never to get on his bad side. She thought.

"I used the ladder that was on the side of your house." the man huffed. "I was only doing what I was told."

"You were told to climb over the massive gate and take pictures of me?" Helena snapped.

"Well yeah, we just found out that you existed. Besides, I got some very good photos of you. They might come in handy for me later on, if you know what I mean. " the man said, smirking.

"You know I've had enough of you talking crap." Xavier began and pulled a gun out. "Why don't you call whoever told you to do this stupid shit and pass me the phone?" Helena's eyes widened like saucers. Jesus, he's serious. She said to herself. The man pulled out his phone while Xavier patted him down.

"Uh sir, he wants to talk to you." the man said to the phone. "Yes, the oldest Mariano." Xavier then pulled out a gun with a small barrel at the top.

"I'm taking your silencer since you won't be needing it when I'm done with you." Xavier said, aggressively tapping his nose. Xavier snatched the phone out of his hand.

"Listen here buddy, I don't know what the fuck we did or why you bringing perverts to spy on my sister but it's going to stop today. Or else I'm ripping every single one of you to fucking shreds you dick. Remember you are messing with the wrong fucking family." Xavier shouted into the phone furiously. Nothing was heard except a little laughter. "Oh you think this is funn-" The line went dead.

Xavier threw the phone across the porch and looked back down at the man he was holding down. He undid the safety of the gun and pointed at the guy's head.

He turned to his sister and gave her a small smile. "Helena, turn around." he said, his voice was quiet and soft. He didn't want her to go watch another traumatic experience. He knew she'd already been through too much. 

Helena listened and turned around, ignoring the man begging for his life.

She waited and then she flinched at the small gunshot that rang through her ears. After that, she heard not a sound but Xavier sighing. She, unhurriedly, span around and saw the dead body. She stared at it for a while as Xavier got up. She accidentally let out a little giggle before going into a fit of laughter.

"Are you okay?" Xavier asked worriedly, turning her away from the corpse.

"Yep, he deserved it." She replied. Xavier nodded hesitantly and took his phone to call someone. Helena carried on smiling. Fake smiling might I add and listened to the man's words repeated in his head.

They might come in handy for me later on, if you know what I mean. It chanted. Such familiar words to her brain.

Maybe, she didn't forget her fathers words like she thought. Maybe they are stored in the back of her brain waiting to jump back into her life so suddenly. Pushing her back to those days.

But the question is... will she be ready for it?

Thank you for reading.