038.

THE RETURN FROM CAMP KNOW NOTHING

let it be by the beatles

and in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me

⸺DUSTIN had come back from his summer camp yesterday, but he was hanging out with his other friends. He was going to come see Steve today at his work. Robin didn't know him and Cory and Tiffany saw him at home, so they already shared greetings. Dustin came to Scoops Ahoy and Robin and Cory were out front. "Hi."

"Hi."

"I'm Dustin."

"I'm Robin."

"Pleasure to meet you. Uh, is...is he here?"

"Is who here?" Steve then burst out of the back and through his hands in the air. "Henderson! Henderson! He's back! He's back!"

"I'm back! You got the job!"

"I got the job!" Steve did a little finger trumpet thing and they did their secret handshake. They hit hands and did a lightsaber battle and Dustin 'stabbed him' and they were laughing hysterically.

"How many children are you friends with?" Steve huffed and motioned his hand as if to say, 'see what I have to deal with'. Tiffany came out of the back to take over for Cory. She knew he wanted to go talk to Dustin more.

"I'll cover for you, Cory, the three of you go talk." Cory jumped a little in happiness. Steve, Dustin and Cory all went over to an empty booth and they got Dustin some ice cream. Dustin was telling them about his new girlfriend Suzie. "No, no. No way. Hotter than Phoebe Cates? No."

"Mhm. Brilliant, too. And she doesn't even care that my real teeth are still coming in. She says kissing is better without teeth." Cory and Steve looked at each other with concern. Cory hit him on the chest to say something and Steve shook his head and motioned for him to say something. They kept going back and forth until Cory finally spoke up. "Wow. Yeah, that's great, Proud of you, man. That's kinda romantic. That's like...wow!"

Dustin finished his ice cream. "So, do you really just get to eat as much of this as you want?" Steve laughed a bit. "Yeah. I mean, sure. It's not really a good idea for me, though. I gotta keep in shape for my lady."

Cory gave him a death stare. "Don't call my sister your lady." Steve sunk in his seat. "Now, my ladies...That's a different story."

Robin then jumped in. "Yeah, and how's that working out for you?"

"Ignore her."

"She seems cool."

"She's not." Steve then spoke up again. "So, where are the other knuckleheads?"

"They ditched me yesterday."

"No!"

"My first day back. Can you believe that shit?"

"Woah. Seriously?"

"I swear to god. They're gonna regret it, though, big time, when they don't get to share in my glory." The were both a little confused. "Glory? What glory?"

"So, last night, we're trying to get in contact with Suzie, and uh..." Dustin looked around to make sure nobody was listening. He covered his mouth and whispered very quietly. "I intercepted a secret Russian communication."

Steve and Cory both whispered at the same time. "What?"

"Uh..." Dustin spoke still to quietly. "I intercepted a secret Russian communication."