Chapter 21 - The Inevitable

Ava was startled to hear a knock at her door so early on a Sunday morning. Not expecting anyone, she ignored it and continued reviewing her lecture notes. She sat cross legged on her bed still wearing pajamas, hair up in a tight ponytail with the glow from her laptop and the open window the only sources of light. Ava hadn't heard it was going to be particularly sunny, but she kept the blinds open in hopes of some sunshine coming into the room.

The knock came again, this time more forceful and desperate. She guessed it wasn't Caitlin or Mona; they wouldn't hesitate to call out to her.

Ava sighed and stood from her bed, opening the door to find Mal standing sheepishly. The brunette involuntarily made a face of mild disgust.

"I thought I told you to leave."

"Please," Mal practically begged. "I just want to talk."

The taller girl thought of thousands of things to shout at her. How she could almost ruin their lives, how she had no right coming back after what had happened, how she's putting them in danger, how she's being selfish. But she didn't say anything. Rather, she opened the door wide enough to let Mal inside and then shut and locked it behind her.

Ava allowed Mal to take a seat on her bed while she stood dismissively in front of her. The blonde was silent for a few moments before Ava gestured the equivalent of "out with it already".

"Okay." Mal took a deep breath and met the brunette's eyes. "I think you know that... I have feelings for you. I always did and, even after so long, I still do. It's only been a day–less than a day, but...I still love you. And I'm sorry about that whole thing"–she chuckled uncomfortably–"from yesterday. I've been overwhelmed with all kinds of emotions. Do you think you can forgive me?"

"I forgive you," Ava replied more quickly than Mal anticipated. "I forgive you for that shitshow. And I forgive you for having feelings that will take you nowhere. I am in a happy, healthy relationship. You are my past." She swiftly marched to her bulletin board and ripped the small image of her, Mal, Jay, and Carlos from its place. "And I think it's time I move on."

She gazed at it both sternly and lovingly for a few seconds. She breathed heavily, brows furrowed with her chest rising and lowering steadily. Ava then held it from the top with her fingertips as if she were about to rip it in two. Mal stared at her in shock. She stood holding it for a few seconds, eyes fixated on the picture and processing what it would mean if she tore it. She almost thought Mal was going to say something, speak up and try to stop her, but she just sat and watched. Finally, she let out the breath she held in her chest and set it down on her nightstand next to the bed, holding an emotionless expression. The blonde was almost tempted to let out a sigh of relief but refrained from making a sound.

Ava, now with her back turned to Mal, effortlessly took out her ponytail. She briefly ran her fingers through her hair, ruffling it only faintly.

"What are you doing?" Mal inquired with one eyebrow slightly raised.

Ava replied reluctantly, "Moving on."

She whipped her head around, slightly startling Mal. The brunette contemplated for a moment, gazing at her ex-girlfriend.

Suddenly, she practically leaped onto the bed, bringing them into a forceful kiss. The shorter girl admittedly didn't resist, bringing her hands up to Ava's cheeks and matching the intensity of the girl on top of her. She breathed hard as the brunette's kisses trailed down her neck and onto her chest.

***

They laid on their backs together, close and only with a sheet to cover them. Mal couldn't help but beam, though Ava lay regretfully.

"Not gonna lie, I was not expecting that," Mal spoke up to break the silence.

"What have I done?" the brunette whispered, ignoring the woman beside her.

Mal turned to her, answering, "The inevitable."