Chapter 28

I dabbed my wet hair with the towel as I sat at my vanity. The sun was long gone and stars had replaced it. The chill from the night made goosebumps prominent on all parts of my body. My wet hair was only making matters worse so I picked up the pace of my drying method. Eventually, my hair became dry and it hung down my back in its usual loose curls.

I picked up my latest book from Drake's family collection and summoned a lighter at the same time. I held the leather book in my left hand and with my right hand, I started a fire in the fireplace. Once the fire was flickering with life, I sat down on the floor. I then opened the book and began to read.

May 13

Fray was gone all week. The humans threatened to go to war with us and he had to go meet with their leader. Hopefully, we can avoid war. Even though I no longer live among the humans I don't wish to see them harmed. Fray assures me that it won't come to that, but I still worry. I know humans. They're violent by nature. Any war with them will know no bounds. So I have taken it upon myself to make sure our armies are strong. Fray should be back tomorrow. Hopefully, he'll come with good news.

Queen Anastasia

"Why are you on the floor?" Drake asked.

I jumped a bit and looked up from the book. I got up off the floor and picked the book up. "I was just reading," I answered.

He walked over to me and looked at the book in my hands. "Is that Queen Anastasia's journal?" He asked as he placed his hand on the light brown leather.

"Yes, I wish she had more," I told him.

"I do too. She's one of the more fascinating queens Gordon has had," he admitted.

"She mentioned living among the humans, what did she mean by that?" I questioned as I placed the book back on my vanity.

He smiled and answered, "She grew up in a human village. Mother had an affair so she didn't even know she was a dragon until she met the king and they discovered they were beloveds."

"Fascinating," I remarked as I gazed at the book.

I heard him come up behind me and soon the heat from his body warmed my back. "Speaking of fascinating," he mumbled, "Did you really choose to stay with me instead of going to a dimension of your choice? You could've gone home. You could've seen your parents."

I turned around and stared into his amber eyes. "I did and I know," I told him.

He just stared at me after that. His face was blank but his eyes seemed to be overflowing with emotion. His eyes flickered over my face, going back and forth, for about a minute. I just stayed still, not knowing what I could possibly do.

Suddenly he placed one hand around my waist and pulled me close to him. I gasped in shock at the sudden closeness but I didn't pull back or tell him to stop. His other hand brushed my hair behind my ear before laying it against the side of my face. "Can I kiss you? Or are you going to try to stab me again?" He asked.

I let out a breathy laugh and I ordered, "Just kiss me."

His lips met mine and my mind went fuzzy. Heat filled my veins and I pulled myself closer to him. Our lips moved in passion-filled sync. Eventually, we had to pull apart so we could breathe. I kept my eyes closed but I could feel him rest his forehead against mine. We gasped for air as our bodies stayed as close as possible to each other. "I love you," I whispered.

Time seemed to stop and I realized what I said. His forehead moved away from mine and I felt pure fear. Why did I say that? I opened my eyes and found Drake staring at me with a wide smile on his face. "Are you serious?" He questioned. I nodded and he proclaimed, "I love you. More than I thought was possible."

I smiled with pure joy and I put my hands on either side of his face. "You mean it?" I asked.

He nodded and pulled me in for another kiss. Our bodies melded to each other like we were two pieces of a puzzle that went together. Each kiss brought more passion and eventually, we found ourselves on the bed. That night we fell asleep as true husband and wife.