Chapter 18

The drive home was peaceful. Somewhere along the way home, he managed to slip his hand into mine and held onto it for the rest of the night. I didn't complain, having a man's touch was never a bad thing. Especially when he was handsome and carried you on nice dates.

We pulled up to my house. Not a light shone through any one of the windows and I forced myself to hide the disappointment. Nobody was up. Correction, the one person I wanted to be up was not.

"I had fun tonight," he said. I turned my direction towards his face and smiled, still holding onto his hand.

"I did as well," I agreed, "thank you for taking me."

"I hope this is the first of many?" He asked hesitantly, scared for rejection. We exited the car and he walked me up to the front porch.

"Yes." I tried to instill confidence in my voice but it ended up coming off a bit uncertain. He squeezed gently on my hand, and still holding my eyes with his he moved his head a fraction forward, I knew what was coming and closed my eyes. Waiting. Eventually, his lips found mine and he kissed me. It was soft, delicate, like a kiss I'd almost expected from him. I rested my hand below his cheek, feeling the rough stubble brush my palm. I couldn't explain it but the kiss was just as I'd imagined. No fireworks, no magical moment of excitement. It was safe. Which I had wanted right? I wanted safe. It was what was best and I knew later down the line I could see myself with Luca in the long run. He'd treat me right and I needed stability. Unlike the person who was in the house right now, like a fixed object stuck in my thoughts.

I heard someone clear their throat from behind us. I didn't even hear the front door open. I pulled away quickly, almost guiltily.

Speaking of the devil...

"Luca." Aspen nodded his head in his friend's direction, his mouth in a grim line. His motorcycle helmet was rested under his arm and he was dressed in his signature head to toe all black.

"I was trying to get a hold of you earlier man." Luca cleared his throat as Aspen cut right between us, and down the front steps towards his bike.

"Well good thing I never returned the call. You seem busy." Aspen said, his back facing us now. I couldn't help notice his tone of voice. It made me irritated because he had no right to be annoyed. This was all his idea in the first place.

His engine roared as he drove off, not saying anything again. The silence he left in his wake was deafening.

"Call me?" Luca threw out the question, unsure about my response. For a second I almost forgot he was standing there. I didn't want to show him Aspen's response had caused bitterness to stain my tongue.

"Of course," I offered him a reassuring smile and turned to watch him leave. I waved as he drove off.

My body was tense an hour later as I laid in bed with my thoughts. Eventually, I faintly heard the front door open and my heart seemed to thump in my ears. My anxiety decided at that moment to shoot through the roof. Footsteps neared my door and suddenly disappeared. A long moment of silence occurred before I heard the doorknob of my bedroom slowly turn. Suddenly afraid but knowing who was behind it.

It opened and Aspen watched me, not waiting for an invite. I watched him tentatively as he approached the edge of the bed and stood there, just watching me for quite some time before I decided to speak.

"Hi?" I asked, my voice wavering somewhat. His lips tugged faintly on the side upwards but it wasn't enough to hide the fact that he was pissed and most likely intoxicated. I noticed my hands were clammy as I wiped them on the bedspread.