Chapter 20

"I can't believe you're actually trying to get me to go out," I said to Lilly who was perched on my bed. She was trying to use a compact mirror as her guide while she laid her hair edges.

"The way you sounded on the phone, girl, you practically convinced yourself," she spat truth to me, her voice throwing attitude my way.

"Not true," I defended myself, as I pulled down the mini leather skirt which was riding up my thighs, "I feel like I'm going to change, this is too slutty."

"No you definitely aren't," she argued, practically jumping off the bed to stop me. My eyes widened at her outburst, "you are smoking baby girl, let's get you laid tonight."

I sighed, rolling my eyes and averting my view back to the mirror. On the phone, I had told her about my developing feelings for Aspen and his relay of opposite feelings. She was disappointed in that news telling me the chase wasn't over yet. I hadn't told her I'd had sex with him though, knowing she'd tell me how dumb I'd been to give it up so swiftly.

"Where are we even going?" I asked, knowing I wouldn't want the answer.

"A club," she smiled creepily and I knew there wasn't something she was telling me. After she finished puckering her plump lips with red lipstick which contrasted perfectly with her perfection-free skin we left. In which, I hustled her so that we wouldn't see Aspen.

The club was on the top floor of a very lavish building and I wondered how exactly she had the connections for this joint. We approached the bouncer who stood by a red link chain with a list in his hand.

"Lilly and one," she spoke, peeking at the list as he scanned it. He ticked at it, and then unlinked the chain, ushering us through.

"Enjoy your night," he said but was drowned out by the loud Latin music.

We walked down a hallway, both sides covered completely in strings of crystals.

"How'd you get us in here?" I asked, cupping her ear so she would be able to hear me.

She looked at me, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth. I knew I wasn't going to like what she was about to say, "Uh, you remember Demetri right?" She half chuckled, knowing that I did and knowing that I would put two and two together.

"Seriously Lilly?" I flung my arms up as we approached another door frame, probably to the actual dance floor. I wanted to go home already and the night hadn't even started.

"Don't kill me," she pleaded, resting her petite hands on both of my shoulders, "Demetri said the guys wanted us to come when he asked so don't even worry about it being awkward."

How could I not? I just prayed that Aspen had other plans which didn't involve hanging out with his best friend and his associates. I also hoped Demetri had other friends that didn't include Luca either. I wasn't quite sure of my emotions towards him and needed time to think before I accepted his offer on another date. The truth was I was already somewhat invested in the guy called Aspen.

Lilly took my hand as we reached the mass of people and guided me through the maze. I stepped on a few dancing people's feet and mumbled apologies hoping they could hear me over the roar of the music.

We reached an opening on the side near the club and I realized it was the VIP section. She scrutinized faces, looking to see if any familiar ones.

"There they are," she said gazing in the opposite direction of me as she recognized someone. "Uh oh," she continued and my body swiveled to the direction she was looking at, "asshole at three o'clock."

I stiffened, watching Aspen as he was sitting, one leg cocked up on the other. His signature seated pose. He was surveying the crowd, sipping something rich in color. He looked so good in an informal suit, the grey collar of his dress shirt unbuttoned down three buttons, exposing his chest hair. I would never understand how someone could exude so much imperiousness. Around him were ten people, and the one I noticed was a girl sitting awfully close to him.