xxiii

Previously on, 'ari, be mine' ...

"De, who's this?" I kept switching from the man and my brother. He sighed and fiddled with his fingers. His head dropped but then he cleared his throat and looked me in the eyes. I could tell from a mile away that he was nervous.

"Y/n, this is your birth father. Y/d/n."

Currently,

[ chapter 23 ]

february 10, 2021
7:58 p.m
albany, new york

- - - - -

"W-what?" I stuttered out, in complete and utter shock. That shock then turned into disbelief. I stared down the man who Dean claims to be my actual father.

The one who left my mom in the hospital, alone. The one who let her die. The one who left me to rot in that fucked up cell of a building called foster care.

"Y/-" I stopped the man, holding my hand up to him. I shook my head. "Unt-uh. I'm not talking to you." I spat.

"Dean." I looked my brother dead in his dark brown eyes.

"Who. the. fuck. is this man?" He sighed. "Y/n, I know that this isn't the best time and I know." He gave me 'the look'. "You know I know. But, he has something important to talk to you about." He leaned forward.

"Please just give it a chance." He whispered to me, pleading with his soft eyes. My eyebrows furrowed again. I'm beyond confused at this point.

Why does he want me to talk to my damn deadbeat dad so bad?

I gave the man another look, who seemed solemn at my reaction to seeing him. I still was in disbelief. This guy in front of me was my birth father. A part of me. A part of me I never got.

"You'll have to wait until after the show. I'm not stopping my enjoyment for. . . you." I looked him up and down and then looked back at Dean.

"I'll talk to you later." And I walked away.

~~~~~

I came out from my dressing room with a black tank and some grey sweats on. To my surprise, my 'father' and Dean were no where to be found.

Great.

I decided to just hope they both left and enjoy the rest of the show. I walked to the side of the stage; noticing Ariana, her family and friends, and Normani dancing along. I also noticed Social House was closing up their set.

I walked up and hugged Ariana from behind. She jumped, looking up at me. She instantly relaxed when she realized it was me, kissing my jaw and then looking back to the stage.

"Hey, sexy." I chuckled and kissed up her neck to her hairline and then watched Mickey and Scootie finish their last song.

"Hey, baby. What took so long?" I sighed. I didn't know whether to tell her the truth or not. I probably should, though, since Dean and him are most likely still here. Somewhere.

"I'll tell you later." I whispered into her ear to ensure she heard me over the crowd and music. She nodded, but I could tell she was both concerned and curious. And we all know my baby's impatient as fuck.