Thirty-eight

Don't forget to comment and vote!

-

Ava

The dress I held up in front of me was perfect for the dinner with James' family. It looked formal, but also had a casual vibe to it. I matched it with black heels, which resulted in an all-black outfit. The dress was black satin with thin shoulder straps, the bottom going diagonal right over my knees.

James had bought several dresses for me, but this one was not bought with his money and I couldn't wait to see his reaction. Personally, I was in love with it. I got changed into the dress after doing my makeup lightly. James should be here any second and I didn't want to let him wait for too long. After our little...session earlier, he had to leave again for another meeting. He was a very busy man, but I hardly noticed it as he always made time for me in one way or another.

My parents were still at work, which meant that James could come to pick me up without us getting caught by them. I was still a little nervous for this evening, meeting his whole family except those who were in Italy. My only source of comfort in this situation was either James or the fact that I knew his mother would be there. She was very sweet and even though I had only met her once, I really liked her. I knew Alesso would be there too, and I haven't actually seen him for a couple of days. But I had the feeling that we had gotten a little closer, hopefully. The last time we met he had even laughed and joked with me. Progress. He was more up-tight than James was, which meant that it was harder to get his confirmation.

Right when I was done with brushing my hair I heard a voice from downstairs. James was right on time. I quickly grabbed my purse and gave myself a last look in the mirror. Perfect. I walked out of my room and stepped down the stairs. When I looked up I was met with a suited chest, but it wasn't James.

"Alesso, what are you doing here?" I said in surprise.

"I was told to pick you up, my brother is unfortunately busy with an important matter, but he will accompany you soon after we arrive." He smiled softly.

I had never been so close to him before. He was a handsome man, no doubt. He was younger than James, but there wasn't much that showed their age difference. Perhaps only that James had more facial hair. James was always neatly shaved though. But that only made him look more attractive. Alesso was tall, but not as tall as his brother.

"Oh, is everything alright?" I asked in a slightly concerned tone.

He chuckled and placed a hand on the low of my back, beginning to lead me out to his car.

"My brother can take care of himself, no need to worry, Ava."

His words calmed me a little, but I still had no idea what kind of 'important matter' he was talking about. But surely it was nothing dangerous, otherwise he would have told me. Alesso opened the door for me and I thanked him before sitting down. He was driving apparently, as he walked around the car and took a seat behind the wheel. I took a deep breath and he started the car. I felt his gaze on the side of my head and looked at him, being met with a soft smile.

"I must say you look beautiful tonight, Ava. My brother is a very lucky man."

I felt my cheeks warm up by his compliment. See, progress.