chapter twelve.

Reese POV:

I walked down the dimly lit passageway that led to our torture chambers. The guards standing at the large steel doors leading inside stood straighter and stiffened as I approached them. They respectfully nodded their heads and opened the door to our enemies' own personal hell. I inwardly cringed as screams echoed out and the putrid smell of blood, sweat and mold invaded my scent. I knew that there was no one housed here who didn't deserve to be here. Murderers, rapists, terrorists, sex traffickers, abusers and traitors were just some of the horrible people we held here. We don't imprison innocents, I would never allow that to happen.

I made my way over to an observation room that connected to one of our holding cells. When I entered, I was met with the angered expressions of my best friends. Pria and Nico were sitting down with irritated looks on their faces, glaring at the two way mirror. They were the ones that called me over to headquarters. They had just come back from a warehouse raid and were tasked to kidnap some cocky gang leader who thought it would be a good idea to try and spy in on one of our weapons transportations. I could tell that they had no physical injuries but their black clothes were soaking with blood. I looked at them inquisitively. "Had some trouble?" I amusedly questioned.

"It was supposed to be a simple kidnapping." Pria muttered annoyedly. "But this asshole..." She pointed to the two way mirror that showed the target bloodied up and tied to a chair, "...and his gang of REJECTS decided they wanted to waste our time and try to shoot us with machine guns. MACHINE GUNS." She finished with her fists clenched.

I tried to keep my laughter at bay. "I'm assuming you handled it." I looked pointedly at their clothes.

"We handled it but the dipshit isn't talking." Nico replied, frustratedly cracking his knuckles. "No matter how many times I pummel my fists into his face."

I turned and looked at the man tied up in the chair. Thirty four-year-old Tony Alder. He was pale but despite his numerous injuries he was wide awake. His clothes were ripped and soaked with blood. He had only been beaten, no weapons or knives used so only bruises and a few cuts littered his face. One eye was swollen shut and the other was blood red. He was actively trying to untie himself but there was no point. There was no escaping our cells.

"Ree just make him talk so I can slit his throat." Nico angrily exclaimed.

I frowned."Why are you two so pissed? What am I missing here?" I asked. I have known Pria and Nico since we were children, we all have anger issues but they were acting more aggressive than usual. Something beyond a mission gone wrong.

"Hello, didn't you hear me? Machine. Guns." Pria huffed.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh please like machine guns would phase the two of you. You've gone up against my weapons in training. Whatever that asshole pulled out would be child's-play in comparison." I scoffed.

"He shot up Agnes."

Silence.

I blinked once, twice, then I burst into laughter. I clutched my stomach and had to lean on the wall to hold myself up. I laughed so hard and for so long it physically hurt to stand up straight after. When I finally composed myself I looked at Pria and Nico's unamused faces.

"You guys are mad because he shot that ugly ass keychain you two bring on missions?" I rasped out.

Agnes was a small hippo keychain that Pria and Nico took turns attaching to their guns. They found it on the floor of an alleyway where they had their first gunfight. They were shooting at the enemies in front of them and didn't realize that one of the men had escaped and was actively sneaking up behind them. The dumbass behind them slipped on Agnes making his location known to Pria and Nico. Now, they never went on a mission without that ugly keychain, even if it got in the way of their shooting. They call Agnes their 'good luck charm.' If Agnes got shot up that means the machine guns they went up against got extremely close, which equally worried and amused me.