Part 42

Sabrina appears from nowhere, as Carlos expected.

She flies into Conrad's arms, squeezing her tightly as her nanny attempts to catch up with the little roadrunner.

"Hello," Conrad whispers, keeping Sabrina securely in her arms.

"Where's daddy?" Sabrina asks curiously, and Conrad points to the car.

Sabrina skips up to the vehicle just as Carlos hangs up his phone.

He nods to Conrad and opens his door, stepping out to greet his daughter.

"Hello darling," he murmurs, sweeping his daughter up into a bone-breaking hug.

"Daddy!" She squeals, her head resting in the crook of Carlos' neck.

"Would you like to be carried?" Carlos asks after a minute of tightly embracing his daughter.

"Yes, I deserve to be carried!" Sabrina declares, allowing her father to begin walking with her in her arms.

"What are you going to have for dinner?" Conrad asks with a grin.

"I'm going to have pizza. Daddy promised I could," Sabrina chatters.

Conrad holds the restaurant door open for the pair of them to walk in, hiding her smile at the child's excitement.

"And then we get ice cream. We have to," Sabrina continues, and Carlos passes her over to Conrad.

"I can walk if you want," Sabrina offers, and Conrad shrugs.

"I don't mind. Just don't get any taller when I have to hold you," she chuckles, stepping back to allow Carlos to walk to the hostess booth.

"I don't think I will get much taller. The lady who had me was short, so I don't think I'll be tall like daddy," Sabrina frowns, shaking her head.

Conrad processes these words, feeling sorry for the girl. She's an amazing kid, and she struggles to see what sort of parent could stand not to be around for her.

"Table for three, booked under Carlos Amaretti," Carlos murmurs to the hostess, who straightens up and leads them to their table without a word.

"Can I get a soda?" Sabrina asks, and Carlos gives her a stern look.

"No soda. You can have juice if you want, but no soda," he instructs, and Sabrina pouts.

"No, Sab, that won't work. You know you're only allowed soda on your birthday," Carlos sighs, pulling a chair out for Sabrina first.

The little girl reluctantly slumps into it, folding her arms.

While Conrad tries to get the blood back to pumping in her arms, Carlos pulls a chair out for her.

"Thank you," she mouths, sitting down and pulling it in for herself.

"So, how was school today?" Conrad asks, offering the girl a smile.

"Great. I had English and maths, and then we had science and gym. Gym was so boring; they're making us play tennis, so me and Zhenya snuck away. Most of the class did, too," Sabrina whispers the end of her statement, and Conrad winks at her, nodding.

"Do you like math?" Conrad questions, putting the napkin on her lap.

Sabrina copies her, grinning.

"I love math. We're doing algebra; I don't think it's as hard as everyone says," Sabrina shrugs.

Conrad raises an eyebrow, looking over to Carlos.

"She's in advanced math. She does it with the ten-year-olds," he states smugly, a note of pride ringing through his voice.