Chapter Four: Breaking Free

I take a deep breath and brush my fingers through my hair, before walking inside the house; wearing the same clothes from last night, only I removed my accessories to sleep comfortably.

My mother, however, is dressed for work; in a white, silk, shell top, with an orange pencil skirt, finished with nude heels. I found her drinking coffee upon entering the kitchen, she is seated at the island, on the middle bar stool.

There was an uncomfortable silence.

"I, uh," I start, holding my shoes and accessories, "..slept over at Kat and Damian's."

She nods, glancing down, "I know. Your brother called me last night."

Due to the fight, there was a noticeable, unpleasant tension. Especially since I am still upset.

"Bianca," She calls, as I attempted to leave.

Optimism was evident in my voice as I stopped in my tracks, hoping she had a change of heart, "Yeah?"

"About last night.." She trails, sighing.

Unsure of how to react, I cast a glance toward the ground.

"I just have so much anger toward your dad. You know... It's.." She stammers, before glancing down, "But, if this play is truly what you want to do, like your brother says it is, you can be a part of it."

My face lights up in shock, "Really? Thank you." I huff out, bringing her into my embrace.

Mom laughs lightly, quickly returning my hug despite the suddenness. She doesn't show much affection, so she simply patted me on the back like I am a stranger, but I'm used to it, so it's not strange; doesn't make me feel bad.

******************************************************

*************************Walking down the hall, I find EJ talking to his friends

Walking down the hall, I find EJ talking to his friends. When Nini emerged from the library, I froze in my tracks; she did not even look at me before speeding off after spotting EJ. She appeared to be attempting to avoid him.

There was hope in my chest thinking Nini and EJ were having relationship troubles.

Finally, EJ's friends walk away, leaving him alone, and I seize the chance to speak with him.

My heart began to pound, and I took a deep breath in preparation, before walking over to him.

"EJ, hey," I casually greet, playing it cool.

Although appearing confused, he manages to hide it with a smile as his brows furrow, "Hey, Bianca."

"I hear Ricky's quitting." As I swayed a little on my heels, I spoke in a sweet tone and smiled smugly.

I immediately regretted disclosing that knowledge too soon, after observing EJ's shocked eyes, because he showed no interest in the act I was performing for him.