12

REYNA

I awoke to the sound of a gunshot

I awoke to the sound of a gunshot. My whole body jerked as if I were a dancing to a sound that I feared the most.

I quickly sat up in my bed, my chest rising and falling to catch up to fast pace of my heart. What was that?

My fear told me to stay in bed, throw the blanket over my head, and hope that whoever was holding the gun wouldn't come anywhere near me. However, my curiosity begged me to do everything I could to go investigate where the sound came from. In my mind, there was a game of tug-a-war. When fear tugged, curiosity pulled harder.

I had always been a curious girl full of fright. It was the only reason I chose to stay behind a computer screen instead of out on the battlefield. However, it didn't seem like I had a choice now that I'm working with Saint.

I slipped out of my bed and strolled over to my door. Pressing my ear into the cold wooden door, I tried to listen for any noise but nothing could be heard. I reluctantly placed my hand on the cool metal from the doorknob, turning it as slow as I could to keep from making any loud noise.

Peeling the door back slightly, I peeked outside into the dark hallway with just my eye hiding away in the crack. When I didn't see or hear anyone, I opened the door wider, a loud squeal echoed through the empty halls, and I quietly walked out of my room. There were no guards in sight as I searched the house for evidence of the gunshot I heard.

It wasn't until the sound of something banging infiltrated my ears that I began to walk in that direction. As I headed toward the sound, I stayed on the tip of my toes, just in case I needed to quickly make a run back to my room.

As I neared Saint's office where I could see the warm light desperately clinging to the floor just underneath the doorframe, my heartbeat began to thump dramatically in my chest.

Before I could make another move, the door slammed open. I completely froze in my spot at the sight of Saint who had blood all on his white shirt he typically wore underneath his suit jacket.

"I... was, uh, going to get something to eat," I lied.

He stared at me without saying a single word. I grew nervous under his icy gaze, hoping he wouldn't kill me like whoever he just killed in his office.

"Get in here," he ordered, opening his door wider. My eyes widened as I looked into the room, expecting to see a dead body.

"Hurry up!" Saint yelled.

I quickly stepped into the room as I took in the entire office.

What caught my attention was Saint's underboss, Adriano, on the couch. He looked quite disoriented as he held his palm against his bleeding cheek.