27: Putting the pieces together.

Y/n's pov

"The hell is that?" Hopper asked, looking at the monster inside Will's worn out dungeons and dragons handbook.

"It's a monster from an unknown dimension. It's so ancient that it doesn't even know it's true home. Okay, it enslaves races from other dimensions by taking over their brain with its highly developed psionic powers." Dustin explained, getting a heavy sigh in return from the chief.

"Oh my god. This isn't real. This is a kids game." Hopper said.

"No, it's a manual. And it's not a kids game. And unless you know something we don't, this is the best metaphor." Dustin defended.

"Analogy." Lucas corrected.

"Analogy? That's what you're worried about right now?" Dustin fired.

"Hypocrite." I whispered with a chuckle.

"-Okay, fine! Analogy for understanding whatever the hell this thing is!" Dustin said.

Nancy leaned down to look at the book unsurely.

"Okay. Okay, so this mind flamer thing-" she started.

"Flayer. Mind flayer." Dustin corrected irritably.

"What does it want?" Nancy continued, ignoring Dustin.

"To conquer us, basically. It believes it's the master race." Dustin said.

"Oh, uh, like, uh, like the Germans!" Steve said, motioning for the lost word as he spoke.

We all turned to him with vexed expressions.

"Uh, Steve, do you mean the nazis?" I
asked with a confused expression.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, uh, the nazis." Steve nodded.

"Well, um, if the nazis were evil overlords and from another dimension, then totally." I said, shooting a baffled look at Steve's stupidity.

"Exactly, it views other races, like us, as inferior to itself." Dustin said.

"It wants to spread and take over other dimensions." Mike added.

"And it won't stop until it gets exactly what it wants. It's relentless." I said.

Lucas nodded along with what we were saying.

"We are talking about the destruction of our world as we know it." Lucas said.

Steve sighed, turned away and started pacing.

"That's great. That's great. that's really great. Jesus!" He said to himself.

Nancy leaned forward to examine the page once more before picking up the manual.

"Okay, so if this thing is like, a brain that's controlling everything, then if we kill it-" Nancy started.

"We kill everything it controls." Mike finished.

"We win." Dustin and I said in perfect unison.

"Theoretically." Lucas reminded us.

Hopper stepped forward and took the book from Nancy.

"Great. So how do you kill this thing? Shoot it with fireballs or something?" Hopper asked, his voice laced with sarcasm.

Dustin suppressed a laugh while shaking his head.

"No. No, no fire- no fireballs. Uh, you summon an undead army because, uh,  because the zombies, you know, uh, don't have brains, and the mind flayer, it, uh, it... likes brains..." Dustin said, trailing off at the sight of the chief's annoyed gaze.

"Its-It's just a game." Dustin said with a sigh.

Hopper threw the book down on the table in anger, turning and walking away.

"The hell are we doing here?!" He said.

"I thought we were waiting for your military back up?!" I called after him, defending Dustin.

"We are!" Hopper shouted back.

I gave Dustin a small smile and a pat on the shoulder.

"Even if they come, how are they gonna stop this? You can't just shoot it with guns!" Mike pointed out.

"We don't know that! We don't know anything!" Hopper responded.

"We know it's already killed everything in that lab!" Mike said.

"And we know the monsters are gonna molt again!" Lucas defended.

"And we know that it's only a matter of time before the tunnels reach town." Dustin proclaimed.

"And we also know that Will's the only host, which means we have to find a way to get the mind flayer out of him without killing him. Guns definitely won't accomplish that." I added.

"They're right." Joyce's soft, broken voice cut in from the hallway.

Everyone turned to Mrs. Byers, her eyes red and puffy and her voice strained.

"We have to kill it.... I want to kill it." She said, as hopper stepped towards her.

"Me too. Me too, Joyce, okay? But how do we do that? We don't exactly know what we're dealing with here." Hopper said, his voice much softer.

"No. We don't. But he does." I said, looking to Will.

"I mean, if anyone knows how to destroy this thing, it's him." I said, looking to the group.

"We also know that Will has a connection to it. He sees what it sees, and he knows what it knows. He'll know how to defeat it." I added.

"I thought that we can't trust him anymore? That he's a spy for the mind flayer?" Max asked.

"Not necessarily. He can't spy if he doesn't know where he is." I said, looking around as everyone stared at me like I had said something genius.

Word count: 809