What's Best

Sebastien Laurent

Naomi left this morning for work and was insistent about going on her own. I wonder if I should've been more assertive about going with her, but she reminded me that the two of us entering the building together could make things even worse.

Instead, I get on a video call with Alana so we can figure out how to make this news disappear as quickly as possible. I had to confiscate Naomi's phone last night and she was sobbing against my chest until she fell asleep. Yesterday was the first time in my life that I contemplated homicide, especially after realizing the obvious culprit.

"So, Joseph still had access to most of your files, including your iCloud, and that's how he got the photos and leaked them to the press," Alana explains. "It's just a good thing you two didn't have any nudes, which was really lucky because I was sure you would given that you're long distance."

Naomi is strictly against nudes and this is a case where her anxiety turned out to be beneficial. Our more risqué messages, however, were not safe...

"What route should we take here, Alana? I don't want this story to continue to gain traction."

"Well, I've gotten a ton of interview requests already for you and Naomi. But if you don't want this story to drag out, our best bet is to reject those requests and pull back on this profile raising we've been doing these past several months. It would mean undoing a lot of the work we have put in to increase your popularity."

"That's fine with me," I reply without hesitation. I never enjoyed the spotlight and these recent press engagements started off as an excuse for me to spend time with Naomi and kind of got out of control after that anyway.

"Are you sure, Sebastien? We could also flip this into something and turn you two into a sort of power couple situation..."

"I'm positive. And I know myself and Naomi... We would not want to be some 'power couple.' Neither of us like getting too much attention."

"Okay," Alana agrees. "I'll make it happen... And tell Naomi that I'm sorry she has to go through this. She really doesn't deserve all this hate she's getting and for no reason, at that."

"Your work is appreciated. And I don't care the cost. The faster conversations can end about Naomi and I's relationship, the better... As for Joseph, he broke the NDA and I've already spoken to my lawyers. This normally isn't my style, but we are going to sue him until his great-great-grandkids are in debt."

"That may not be the best choice, Sebastien..." Alana cringes.

"Why the hell not?!"

"If you're in a legal battle with Joseph over this, you'll continue to be in the news and thus, conversations surrounding your relationship with Naomi will persist... You also punched him in the face and I'm no lawyer, but I imagine that'll cause problems too."

"Damnit!" I slam my fist on the desk. If a public court battle won't work, then I'll just need to figure out another way to make Joseph's life hell behind the scenes. "Fine, just do whatever you need to do to end all of this as soon as possible."

"Right. I'll keep you updated."

###

Naomi Monroe

When I got to the office this morning, I was met with stares and whispers. Unsurprisingly, Katie called me in for a meeting first thing and I already knew what she wanted to discuss.

Sitting in front of her at her desk, I try my best not to look nervous, but I can't help that I fidget with my fingers as she speaks to me.

"So... Is it true?" she asks and all I can do is nod. Maybe I should've just called out sick today, or called out sick forever.