03| All Alone with Bunch of Lies

"Once the heart gets heavy with pain,
people don't cry.
They just turn Silent.
Completely Silent."

ARABELLA'S POV

The ride to the police station was relatively blurry. I was lost in thoughts, unsure of what would happen to me or how things would change in the future.

It was difficult not to get weary and frustrated when I had no idea what was going to happen or what changes were awaiting for me.

I kept wondering about where I would go.

Would I end up in a safe home or in a situation much worse than what I lived before?

I'm not even sure if I ever wanted to get adopted at all, and that would mean that I'd be staying in an orphanage till I'm eighteen.

Whatever it is that I end up with, I only have three more years to deal with it before I officially start looking out for myself, just as I have always have.

My thoughts were all over the place creating a haywire of mess in my head.

As I sat in the backseat of the car, the officer in the passenger seat turned around as her voice, calling out to me, jolted me out of my trance.

"Hello, Arabella. My name is Amber, I am sorry for your loss. If there's anything you need, feel free to ask me. I'm here for you." The lady officer said in a humble and empathetic tone, as her sympathetic eyes looked at me in concern.

Can I ask her for a million dollars?

I didn't respond to her, instead just nodded my head as I turned my face to look out the window.

Why do people act like they care when they really don't–

For the remainder of the drive, we sat in silence as I went back to draining myself with questions of what might happen.

Once the car stopped outside the station, officer Amber exited the vehicle and came to open my door as she waited for me to step out of the car.

We then proceeded to walk inside the building, where she made me follow her into an office and told me to wait for my social worker, who would be here shortly to discuss the further details with me.

She also took a strand of my hair and a swab of my cheek to collect DNA samples.

Which, as I told her, wasn't necessary but it was a protocol they had to follow.

She then left me alone in the office, where I sat in an uncomfortable chair for what felt like hours.

The longer I sat there alone, the worse the pain in my body became, followed by pain in my head and numbness in my ass, but I was too tired and exhausted to get up.

The longer I stayed in the office, the more suffocated I felt.

I desperately needed fresh air–

A sigh of relief left my mouth as I saw officer Amber returning, with a very professional looking lady walking besides her. The new lady was dressed formally, with her blonde hair up in a bun, her heels clanging on the floor, and a folder in her hand.