xxxi. i have a ship named after me

chapter thirty-one

─── i have a ship named after me

          𝕷uke seemed panicked when he found me.

"Andi, thank the gods," He began to check me over, looking for cuts or brusies. "I heard you calling for help!"

"Me, too!" Tyson said, appearing from behind him. "Heard you yell, 'Bad things are attacking!'"

"I didn't call you guys," I shook my head. "I'm fine."

"But then who..." Luke noticed the three duffel bags, the thermos and the bottle of vitamins in my hand. "What did you do?"

"Okay, don't get mad," I started, as Luke's expression soured. "I talked with your dad and he thinks that it's a good idea for me...us to go on this quest thingy to go and get Grover."

"This will get us thrown out of camp." Luke countered my point, his entire body tense at the mention of his dad.

"But, if we do well then we can save Grover and Thalia's tree," I pointed out, smiling at him. "That's a memorial to your best friend and he's mine. We've got to try.

"Yeah, but I promised Chiron—"

"You promised you'd keep me from danger. You can only do that by coming with me! Tyson can stay behind and tell them—"

"I want to go," Tyson said.

"Is that a good idea?" Luke's voice was calm, but even I could hear the panic beneath it. His fingers were starting to drum against his leg again.

I chewed on my lip. I didn't know what to do and I'm not sure why Luke was trusting me with making this decision. He should know by now that me and good judgement calls never went in the same sentence. 

"We can't leave him," I decided. "Tantalus will punish him for us being gone."

"Alright then," Luke nodded, finally stopping drumming his fingers. "It's your call, Andi, if you think that's best then sure."

"Thank you," Tyson was grinning like a maniac, turning away for a moment. I took the opportunity to reach up and kiss Luke softly. "You're the best.

"I'm going to regret this decision. How are we getting to the ship?"

"Your dad said that my dad would help?" I scrunched up my nose.

"Go on." Luke nodded, still seemingly not sold on the entire idea.

"Dad. Can you, like, help up get to the ship before we're eaten?" I raised an eyebrow. At first, nothing happened. Waves crashed against the shore like normal. The harpies sounded like they were right behind the sand dunes. Then, about a hundred yards out to sea, three white lines appeared on the surface. They moved fast toward the shore, like claws ripping through the ocean. As they neared the beach, the surf burst apart and the heads of three white stallions reared out of the waves.