One week in

It had been a week since Lucas asked me the question that made my heart swell with joy. We had taken turns in sleeping in each other's rooms throughout the week though most of the time it was me in his room. I had not told Lucas or anyone about my incident with whoever that woman was on Monday, not even Celine.

Despite how cautious I had been all week, I had not come across the mystery woman, a fact that made me wonder if I was just imagining things. But the fear was real, the way my heart had missed double beats that day, the chilly feeling of someone's eyes all over me and not in a good way. It could not be paranoia. But then it could be that she was not following me but Celine. That thought made me even more terrified.

I thought of calling her to check on her, but that did not seem like a good idea at the time given the different time zones.

"Chris, Chris Chris," the banging on the door along with the two small voices calling my name snapped me from my thoughts.

"Chris, we're ready," Abby cried from the other side of the door.

"Coming!" I said and placed the small pin on the side of my hair. I took one last look in the mirror. Nothing too serious for a picnic day. A blue pair of skirt shorts and a yellow cropped top that stopped a few inches above the shorts. I slipped my legs into the simple black sandals and ran a hand carefully through wavy hair.

I put on my best smile and pulled the door open. "Hey little angels," I said as I looked down at them from my door.

"See we got dressed," Aiden said happily.

I had started a new get yourself dressed routine for the kids this week. After the small bathroom incident a week ago, Lucas and I had decided that it was okay for them to try to get themselves ready some days of the week. Of course, I had to get them dressed for school, but they had to get themselves dressed for every other occasion, with my or Lucas's supervision. I could not hide the joy I felt that Lucas was allowing me to make decisions for the kids too, as minor as they seemed they meant a whole lot to me.

The first few days were tough, actually, we spent most of the time trying to settle arguments between the twins about what outfit to wear. They loved each other dearly but sharing the same outfits was not one of the ways their way to show their love for each other. Like most girls her age, Abby loved pink. It did not matter what the outfit was she would gladly dive into it as long as it was pink.

Aiden, on the other hand, loved green. Green toys, green cutleries, green clothes, and shoes too, and one time he talked about getting a green dog. Lucas dismissed the idea so quickly I wondered if it was the color or the idea of having a pet at home.

"You look so handsome," I smiled with pride to see how quickly they had improved in getting themselves dressed.

"And me?" Abby did a small curtsey.

"Like a princess," I crouched down and gave them both kisses on their foreheads, "I am so proud of you both,"

"Thank you," they said with glee. "Now go downstairs and wait for me while I get your dad. Okay."

"Okay," they chorused and ran down the hallway toward the stairs.

"No running on the stairs," I called from behind them ad they slowed their paces. I shook my head with a smile and turned down the hallway in the other direction to Lucas's room.

I lifted my hand and gave a small tap on the door, "can I come in?"

"You know you don't have to ask," he said from inside.

I chuckled softly and pushed the door open. "Hey muffin," he said from his dresser table. I blushed at the pet name he had started calling me in the last few days.