Scales 3

We brought the entire tribe back to the corpse of the beast. It was incredibly difficult to carry, I had to even get involved myself. The snake was extremely long, perhaps over 40 metres. We had to saw the snake in half and carry each half one at a time. Upon seeing it, they were just as astonished as we were when we first killed it.

The goblins responsible for butchering were slobbering at the thought of processing this snake. The artisans were drooling at the thought of working with the bones and scales, Olma's eyes were gleaming as she held a large scale. Others' stomachs growled while gazing upon the soon to be snake steaks. Voglo's was cheerfully rubbing his hands together, and firing up his potion-making cauldron. However, I was more concerned about the preservation of the food.

This entire snake, even after removing all inner organs, could feed our entire tribe for months, but the meat certainly wouldn't stay fresh for that long. We had to figure out ways to preserve it, and we needed them quickly. Before the butchering could start, I ordered the goblins to start gathering firewood, branches for drying racks, to dig pits for fermentation, and gathering more stone for me.

I put my [Stone-Shaper] into use. I quickly produced stone pots with lids. I made them shallow but wide, so many of them could be stacked on top of each other. Then I proceeded to make knives. I didn't bother with complexity, so I made knives with a single, sharp and smooth side, while the rest of it was crude. I also made some large pots for general use, I created them with thin walls because otherwise, they would be too heavy to carry. And finally, I created simple, thin and smooth, square stone slabs, to dry meat upon.

Disassembly of the snake began. The butchers were trying their utmost to skin the snake without damaging the precious scales. Due to the size of this monster, the crew took nearly over 4 hours to get it done. The artisans took the skin and started cutting it into large squares, to be placed on drying racks. Then using the larger scales to produce armour and such. The undesirable parts of the snake were to be used as bait for traps.

When opening the stomach of the snake, we were met with a gruesome surprise. There were the skeletons of 3 men, all nearly digested, and the corpse of the goblin that had been swallowed. The humans' armour and clothes were riddled with holes due to the stomach acid. Also, there were the half-digested bodies of some goats, yet they did not resemble the bodies of any goats I was familiar with. Their fur was silver and their horns almost translucent. I did not know whether these were special goats or typical of this world. Yet where had these things come from? After weeks of hunting, we had not come across humans or goats, after all. Regardless, anything that was salvageable was saved and dumped into a pile.

The brain of the snake was enormous, almost as big as 3 goblins crouching together, but it was fairly smooth. It made me wonder how my [Intelligence] stat affected my brain. The shaman, Voglo, requested the brain, kidneys and venom glands of the snake, so he could make potions. I asked him what types, but he didn't know, he simply wanted to experiment with them. Perhaps he wanted to raise his skill level?

The large pots I created were soon filled with the drained blood of the snake, but they're still plenty of blood left to be drained out. I quickly drank a mana potion and worked to create more pots and jugs. Although I personally never ate anything with blood in my previous life, except for medium-rare steaks, I knew blood was a valuable ingredient and can be made into lots of food. A business partner from England offered me some traditional blood pudding once, I declined by pretending I was vegan. Unfortunately, I could not be picky about my food my current situation.