Scales 4

After around 2 days of work, the snake was completely butchered. The meat and blood were processed in time before they would rot. We had 10 deep mounds filled with pots of meat for fermentation. The mined out storeroom was filled with jugs of snake blood. We had countless drying and smoke racks, all serving to preserve the snake meat. The skeleton of the snake was curved around our encampment, acting as a sort of makeshift fence and its skull was hung over our cave entrance. Its skin was being dried and turned into leather, scales into armour and its fangs into weapons. Any other scraps of meat were used for bait for traps and fish.

Several goblins even gained skills out of this. The butcher goblins gained dedicated skills to their craft: [Butchering], [Skinning], [Gutting]. Most goblins gained cuisine related skills like [Smoking] and [Fermenting] among others.

The snake alone would supply us for a month. However, we still lacked a consistent supply of food. Human civilisation began to flourish when they discovered agriculture, it should be no different in this world. However, instead of finding a wild plant and selectively breeding it for hundreds of years, shouldn't there be suitable plants already out there?

With the last usable bit of snake extracted, it was finally time to collect our treasure. The snake's hoard was a far cry to that of a dragon, but it was still awe-inspiring to these impoverished goblins. The few gold and silver coins and bars were gathered into sacks, but the equipment such as weaponry and armour were rusted. It was not suitable for wear, it was made with a human in mind, and I was already anaemic. The last thing I needed was a loose piece of armour that could give me an infection.

There were 4 treasure chests, all of which were unlocked. The first chest contained more coins and some plain metal jewellery. The other chest contained much of the same, even some gems! I felt a euphoric rush run through my body as I picked up some gemstones. The other goblins were utterly elated by them, some were even brought to tears. Perhaps these rocks played a more important role for these goblins than I had previously thought? I quickly found out that these gems were not magical, and most likely made of chalcedony, but I still felt unwittingly satisfied.

"Voglo, are these gems truly that impressive, as to bring others to tears?" I asked him.

A goblin handed him a gem to look at, and quickly Voglo began to smile, satisfied wit. "Perhaps not. But for us Amber Skins, have a great love for gems, it is an appreciation bestowed to us by our god. Our tribe has spent a long time without any beauty to appreciate, as such we are overjoyed, even if it's not shining or brilliant," he explained to me.

The other chest contained an oddity, a single red helmet. It seemed to be made of iron, but it was not rusty and coloured with a dark crimson hue. Its design was exceptionally simple as well, the top was shaped like a dome, the part protecting the neck was perfectly straight, and its front was completely open, except for the nose guard. Once I put it on, I received a notification.

[Interface]

You have discovered an artefact, Johan's Bloody Barbute.

[Johan's Bloody Barbute]

It is a normal magical artefact of some renown, once worn by the cruel and vicious mercenary, Johan of Concordia. This was a once normal helmet, but it has become stained a deep red through endless bloodshed.