5:Nightmares

Haider Jega

I sat in the car and she immediately followed. The way she had disgraced me at the party was so annoying. My friend Sarah was only demonstrating a scene from our favorite movie and this fool in front of me had to ruin it all. My hatred for her has grown even more. I sent her a cold glare through the rare view mirror and she immediately looked away. I hate her so much.

"Jabar drive me home please" I commanded my driver who nodded and started up the gear. I closed my eyes in other to soothe my anger, the thought of her being in the car annoyed me. I couldn't wait to get out of the car. As soon we alighted In front of my house in the palace. I raced out of the car and walked into the house without turning back. I immediately made my way into my room. I took a warm bath and came out and Face-Timed my girlfriend Nailah. Only her could cool my nerves now. As soon as she picked up, I was blessed with the appearance of her beautiful face. "Habibi" She smiled happily at me as she uttered those lovely words.

"Baby I miss you so much" I whined. I always get dumb whenever I'm around her or speaking to her.

"Me too baby" She pouted.

"The most annoying thing happened today," I said to her.

"What happened Habibi?" She asked curiously. And I told her all about DK from the first day I met her until now.

"Is she beautiful?" Nailah asked, I knew she felt insecure because DK is a woman.

"She's not" I lied. Or maybe I didn't, because according to me Dk was just a normal girl with an annoying attitude.

"Just try and get her fired, I'm sure you can do that babe. Frame her or something" Nailah said.

"I will think about that," I said and she smiled.

"So guess what Habibi?" She said.

"Uhmmm you wanna marry me?" I joked and she chuckled. I and Nailah would have been long married but because of the nature of her work, she said she needed more time. She was the CEO of her father's company just like myself. And we all know how hard it is to handle a whole organization on your own. So I agreed to wait until she was ready.

"No silly, I'm coming to Nigeria for work. And I can be with you" She half yelled.

"Really?, I would love that...." I got cut short by the screams coming from outside my door. I checked the time and it was 10 pm, which meant I had been on a call with Nailah for about two hours now. DK was our topic of discussion.

"Babe I will call you later, something is happening outside," I said.

"Be careful Habibi, I will wait for you. I love you" She said after hanging up. I got down from my bed and went outside. The screams were coming from DK's room, it was a scream of terror. She sounded very scared. I wanted to turn around and go back to Nailah in other to leave her to suffer, but I decided to check out what was wrong. I entered her room without knocking and saw her on the floor beside her bed laying her head on her knee which was hugging her stomach. She was crying and screaming the word 'No'. What could be wrong with her, I thought.

"DK what's this drama for?" I said to her but she didn't move. Instead, she continued crying and saying No. I walked over to her and squatted down a little to where she was seated. She was only wearing a black singlet and black trousers. She looked extremely scared. What the fuck was happening to her?

"No, let me go" She screamed again in great terror. She began shaking and crying.

"It's okay, no one is going to take you anywhere" I tried to assure her.

"Mummy!!!" she screamed. I held her hands and soon cuddled her. I didn't know what to do but according to the knowledge I had gotten from medical
School. I can tell this is a disorder that was caused because of a nightmare. I am a doctor after all.

"No one Is taking you nowhere, got it?" I made her look into my eyes. Her eyes had so many tears in them. She looked very scared. my eyes, may Allah forgive me trailed over to the huge scar behind her back. It looked very old and red because she was light-skinned. She was a fair lady, after all, maybe it was from one of her Training as a soldier. I thought and shrugged it off.

"Are you okay?" I asked as I soon saw her begin to breathe steadily. She didn't respond. I noticed I was still holding onto her and let go. She sat on the floor with her head bowed down. She didn't look up and inhaled softly. I noticed another scar on her arm. How many scars did she own? I thought.

Not wanting to cuddle or make her think I cared about her. I got up and left. I don't want to have anything to do with her and I hope she doesn't speak of today.

The following morning came like the August breeze. I was ready for work and seated on the chair in the dining room when I noticed a figure behind me. I turned around to find DK behind me.

"Go wait in the car," I said coldly.

"I want to apologize about yesterday, I'm very sorry," she said. I didn't say a thing and drank from my cup of green tea.

"What happened yesterday?" I asked. Well was she apologizing for almost injuring Xarah or For making me cuddle her yesterday?

"About yesterday night, I was having a dreadful nightmare," she said.

"Whatever, who cares? Go wait in the car, please. You Are suffocating me"
I hissed. She turned around and began walking when I said.

"Now we know that even bodyguards need protection huh," I said. I turned to stare at her and she nodded before leaving.