Ch. 5: Home In Your Heart

* hi friends! i just wanted to give a quick little warning that mentions of suicidal tendencies pops up a bit towards the second half of this chapter. it's mentioned briefly during a dark time for peter and if that's triggering for you i just wanted you to be aware ! enjoy !

* * *

"Don't you know I gotta find me a home right now in your heart. I'll travel over mountains and down highways. Through the valleys, every byways. Just to find me a home in your heart. I'll bring you pretty flowers, candy moonbeams. Fill your nights with love and sweet dreams. When I, when I find my home in your heart. We'll make sweet pretty music while birdies sing. Tie a love knot with a heartstring." - Solomon Burke

* * *

"I'm just not a fan," Peter pouted like a child, leaning back in his desk chair. 

You huffed and crossed your arms, tapping your foot annoyedly as your eyes shifted back and forth from Peter to Cindy. You weren't sure why Cindy was here, but her eyes were red and puffy and she was knitting like crazy in the corner chair that she'd marked for her own ever since returning. 

You'd never asked, and Peter had never said, but you got the feeling Cindy was going through something that was more emotional than she'd care to admit. You knew Peter was helping her with it and you trusted him, but you sometimes caught ticks in Cindy's demeanor from the hardcore stoic hero. And you knew the look on someone's face when they'd been crying. 

"We already tested Aggie's DNA," Peter ran his hand over his head tiredly, "She didn't inherit your father's Asgardian genetics."

"Well, she did, but they're very small," you muttered, feeling the need to correct Peter for some reason. You'd been agitated and flighty since finding out about your Asgardian roots and no one could fault you for it. And it didn't help that Harry Osborn had been all over the news for his triumphant return to New York to "tend to matters on a more personal level at OSCORP," as the Daily Bugle had stated. 

"Peaches," Peter softly reached out his hand tiredly, elbow still on the desk as he wiggled his fingers and looked at you expectantly. 

It was now your turn to pout as you stepped forward and took Peter's hand in yours. He smiled lightly and tugged on your hand a bit, bringing it to his lips and kissing the back of it a few times before looking up at you, "I know what this is really about," he said seriously.

"Y-You do?" 

"You just don't want to celebrate Hanukkah with May and me this year," Peter smirked, eyes sparkly impishly, "Last year was such a disaster that you can't even fathom having to go through it again."

You squawked in annoyance and tore your hand from Peter's as he laughed. 

"You're such a child," you snapped.

"An imbecile, one might say," Cindy said flatly, eyes never leaving the knitting, "A cowardly lion, or perhaps the itsy bitsy spider that wouldn't go up the spout?"

Peter glared at Cindy, "Well, since you won't tell your parents you're fucking alive, now you have to deal with May during Hanukkah, and if you remember correctly, it's vicious."

"It's not that bad," Cindy rolled her eyes, "It was one of my favorite times every year."

Peter's soft expression caused ice to sizzle in your veins. The rearing monster of jealousy wormed its way slowly under your skin and reached to squeeze your heart - suffocating any last chance at patience and acceptance for the situation that you had. But you caught it last minute and snuffed it out in a long, deep breath.