𝟘𝟘𝟜

{Chapter four}

ADELINE WAS MET WITH STARTLING BLUE EYES AND VIBRANT GINGER HAIR. What was it with strangers and being all up in her business?

"Well, at least you know how to clean yourself up." 

What a warm welcome. 

Adaline sat up, brushing some stray hairs from her braid away from her face as she blinked, trying to clear the sleepy fogginess that clouded her vision. 

When she could see normally, she was met with a woman that looked a year or two younger than herself with full lips and beautiful pale skin to compliment her orange locks. The deep color of her eyes only somewhat distracted from the white kefta she donned.

Behind her stood Alina, dressed in a familiar green army uniform with a blue and black belt cinched around her waist. She wore a hat the same color as the fabric, as well as a golden chain veil covering her eyes.  "Morning, Lina," Adaline grumbled, her voice groggy and laced with sleep. "What're you waking me up for?" 

Alina rolled her eyes under her veil before removing the thing, placing it onto Adaline's side table, and sitting on the edge of her bed. "We're to meet the king in about forty-five minutes." 

Adaline looked at her sister blankly before turning around on her mattress and falling face-first into her pillows with a dramatic groan. "No."

The older Starkov could feel the ginger's eyes on her back. "You weren't lying when you said she wasn't a morning person," she muttered, before loudly clapping her hands. "Chop, chop! Come along, we've got to make you presentable." 

Adaline lifted her head and squinted at the woman in the white kefta. "Who even are you?"

"Genya. Genya Safin." she introduced with a sassy hand on her hip. She ushered Alina off the bed before waving at Adaline. "Up!"

Alina laughed as her sister groaned. She flipped the black covers off her legs and slid off the bed, stumbling into the bathroom where Genya was waiting. The water was already running in the tub, awaiting Adaline's sore body from the previous days' adventures. Genya and Alina took a seat on the chairs in the room, whispering to each other while Adaline bathed and scrubbed the dirt from her skin. 

After dressing in a uniform exactly like Alina's and allowing Genya to fix her hair into shiny, soft black waves, they quickly walked through the halls of the Little Palace to where they would meet the royal family. 

"No army uniform includes a veil," Alina complained, blowing the flimsy material out of her eyes. Genya waved a hand, assuring the Sun Summoner she looked fine. "Say one wanted to leave the Little Palace―"

"But everything you need is here." Genya cut in, obviously forcing a smile. 

"I've got some things I've forgotten at camp. I could just―"

"Don't be ridiculous."

Adaline chuckled at their bickering. Luckily, her uniform didn't require a veil―she supposed she wasn't as important as Alina― so she was free from the burden. Alina began obnoxiously blowing her golden veil away from her face, which quickly annoyed her sister. "Stop that!"