51

The day felt as if it had flew by within minutes, let alone hours. Considering the fact that neither of us have had a chance to fit in a phone call in all this time, the whole day was filled with nothing but stories and surprises. But what stuck with me most of all was the conversation we all shared about Emilio and... Zane.

But my mind was anything but cleared after the chat. There were still so many things I needed to understand for myself but I was yet to do so.

'Milan?' Amanda's voice breaks through my thoughts.

'Oh- Yeah, sorry. What were you saying?' I stutter out, repositioning myself in the process.

'Why am I not surprised?' She rolls her eyes in response. 'I was asking you if you were up to go out tonight.'

'Of course! It's been ages since I've been out with you guys. Where do you wanna' go?' I eagerly agree, giving the group a wide smile.

'Good because we made reservations for dinner before we came tonight.' She props her head to the side casually before giving me a smirk.

'As long as it's on me.' I shrug, earning a giggle from the three.

———

Once we were all dressed for the night, specifically me since I was the only one sat in a pair of shorts while the rest were glammed from head to toe, we set off for the night.

With Amanda in the drivers seat, Catrina seated close next to her and Maria in the back with me, we arrived at the restaurant of their choice within minutes.

'That was quick.' Maria remarks, taking a glance out of the window for herself before stepping out of the car. We each do the same, exiting from different sides before walking into the brightly lit building, the lights from within almost blaring onto the opposite street.

'Hi, I made a reservation under Amanda-'

Being the one to have made the reservation, Amanda gets us all sorted with the table before we each order a meal of our choice and wait patiently for it to arrive.

'So how long are you guys planning to stay?' I start as I place my purse onto my lap.

'We were only meant to be here for a day but...' Catrina responds, hesitating to finish her sentence. 'I really don't wanna' drive tonight.'

I feel myself letting out a small laugh as I hear her silently admit.

'Why don't you guys stay the night?' I propose, Catrina's face instantly lighting up.

'It's fine, there's no need-' Amanda declines respectfully before earning a slap on the arm from Catrina.

'Don't speak for all of us!'

'Shut up, you're only mad because you have to drive.' Amanda glares in her direction,

'Exactly, even more reason for me to take up on the offer.'

'Then I'll drive.' Maria offers in attempt to end the argument.

'Hell no, you're not driving my car. Have you seen the way you drive?' Catrina's face shrivels with disgust to the suggestion as I continue to observe the three.

'Okay... So you guys are staying for the night.' I conclude with a nod as the table finally falls silent.

'We could just get a hotel-' Amanda continues to fight me on this but my mind was made up. I'd enjoy the extra company anyway.

'Oh, trust me... I have the space now.' I sigh, thinking back to Emilio's trip. But just as the thought comes to mind, I remember how I hadn't checked my phone in hours. My hands rush towards my purse, hoping for a text or call from Emilio if anything.

The screen lights up, a message from Emilio... as well as Zane. I was yet to see what the message read but I was hesitant to click on either. My eyes linger over Emilio's name while my thumb sat just above Zane's.

'Zane probably just responded to my text from earlier, nothing major.' I remind myself of the text I had sent Zane this morning, telling him I wouldn't be coming in today. And for some reason, the decision became much easier as I waste no more time to click on Emilio's message.

'Just wanted to let you know I landed, sleep well beautiful.' It reads, his words still managing to make me feel some type of way even through a keyboard.

'I'll try... I hope the business trip goes well.' I respond, before sliding off the chat and now onto Zane's.

'Why? Are you okay?' The first text read before being followed by another.

'Respond Milan.' And there were no texts after that.

I'm not sure why I expected him to say more. He was just checking for a reason to my day off work like any other employer would.

My heart almost leaps from within me as the screen lights up with Zane's name, the echoing sound of my ringtone making it's appearance. I hadn't even responded yet and he was already making a call.

'Who is it?' Maria peers over the table towards me, noticing my intense gaze at the screen.

'Sorry, I've gotta' take this.' I snap out of it, knowing whatever he was calling for could be important, after all I did miss a day of work. I step away from the table and in the direction of the restroom as I answer the call.

'Hello?' I speak into the mic, checking if I could be heard clear enough.

'Milan.' His strong tone sounds through the phone directly held against my ear, sending trembles down my arm.

'I'm sorry I couldn't respond earlier, I didn't get a chance to check-' I try to explain until he interrupts mid-sentence.

'I don't care about that. Tell me you're okay.' His voice appears as if it were begging for my response, waiting for me to give him the answer he wanted.

'Of course I am...' I nervously speak into the phone, my grip falling tighter.

'That's all I needed to hear.'

'Is there anything you need me to do?' I check, hoping he would say nothing because I really didn't want to end the night this early.

'Actually yes.'

I silently groan at his words. 'What is it?'

'Come in for me tomorrow so I can see that pretty face in person.' I could almost hear the smirk on his face as he said those words, wasting no time to hang up seconds after leaving my face a light shade of pink.

I let out a sigh of discomfort from my warm-feeling cheeks as I drop the phone back into my purse. I didn't want to give the comment too much thought, perhaps he was just trying to get some sort of reaction out of me.

But just as I was about ready to leave the restroom, the door opens from outside, stopping me in my tracks.

Danielle was stood by the door, one hand on the handle as she holds the door open.

'What are you doing here?' I question with a smile, glad that I ran into her.

'A friend of mine works here, I'm here to pick her up...' She plainly states before brushing past me with little care. I look over my shoulder as I watch her meticulously reapply a warm shade of lipstick to her lips, seeming to care little about the fact that I'd ran into her at all.

'Maybe she's just in a rush.' I brush the thoughts out of mind as I walk to her side.

'I came out with my friends tonight, I'd love to introduce you to them. They can see the competition they have.' I chuckle, expecting her to laugh along but instead gives me a tight smile.

'Yeah... I don't think I can. Maybe some other time?' And without bothering to wait for a response, she heads for the door, only giving me one final empty look before the door shuts behind her.

——————————————

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment! Also follow my Instagram
(@ miraa.stories )